SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My New Kit.

RobH

Hello all,

I finally got my pier adapter finished this afternoon, and have now mounted the scope....it's been sitting in the spare room for the last couple of weeks driving me nuts with frustration!

I've got to get used to the new mount and drift align it but the cloud looks pretty dense tonight so I guess I'll content myself with hooking up the laptop and getting it all interfaced this evening.

TMB 152 with the Tal 100 as a guidescope, Celestron CGE and Starlight Xpress SXVF H16.

Can't wait for first light :)

Cheers

Rob

11814_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

11815_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Does this mean that both this pair, and the 14" LX are installed in the obsy, and available to use at the same time if you wanted to?

Dave

Unfortunately not Dave :-)

That would be too good!!

The observatory is only big enough for the 152, which takes up a lot more room than the 14.

I'd thought about removing one side, extending the platform around a second pier and then using a new, much lighter roof but it's not very straightforward.

Amanda uses the garage, which attaches to the observatory, as a workshop and the warm room is in there too, which is a bit tight as it's only a single width garage.

We may well take the whole lot down next year and purpose build a larger structure, incorporating a 2 pier ROR observatory so a big build now isn't worth it.

The 14 is going to get a service and 'bucks gears' in the meantime but until then it may just be my 'portable' rig !!!

Cheers

Rob

It could well be M1 Martin.

First though, there's quite a bit of work to do.

I've been familiarising myself with it tonight but had no luck at all getting any sort of computer communication going.

I also need to redo my cable runs as they have a lot further to run now, due to the greater swing of the scope.

A really good thing is that in no position does the scope foul the pier, so I don't need to worry about that.

Cheers

Rob

What a stack of toys Rob, and it would be great if you can get it up and and running perfectly on your Birthday. The excitement must be building inside you, and I think the anticipation of what's to come is felt by most of us. I hope the glitches, if any, are few, and the changeover goes smoothly. Now, the big question. Who took the picture. :)

Ron. :thumbright:

Hello Ron.

You're right about the excitement.

I feel like a 12 year old at the moment, especially as I just got computer communications going with the beastie. It's now interfaced with starry night and PHD.

The Celestron software seems pretty straightforward once you've played with it a bit, and I've made the mount do a few meridian flips so I know what to expect.....very strange after using a fork mounted scope. I've never had a motorized, let alone goto, german equatorial. The movement is more animal than machine, I've enjoyed just slewing it around and getting the feel of it :)

Maybe M81 for first light????

The camera has already been blooded....I've got well over 20 hours of rosette nebula to process, not sure if the old laptop will handle it though :)

Cheers

Rob

Well this all looks like a romance made in the heavens, cannot wait to see this expensive triplet earn its place in your obsy, and am interested to see the results at the longer fl like over 2m as well as the wide field stuff. You have noticed the weather has seized up for the past week and probably for the next week?

JohnH.

Yes John....sorry about the weather :)

It will be intersting to see the long FL performance. I'm betting on the quality of the lens making up for the high F ratio, after all, you get plenty of Mak Cassegrains working at F15 with no trouble, and having guided the 14 at F10, if the mount is as good as I think it'll be, F12 to F16 should be OK.

Eddie, when did you get rid of your scope?

Kevin....Christmas and my half-century combined!!!

Won't happen again!!!

Cheers

Rob

It was last year Rob, to fun the purchase of the Art11002. Kevin is the proud owner of it now. I will buy another one day (in fact it is this the you have that I hope to get!) Though I do have my eye on an FSQ at the moment....

Eddie

Yes John....sorry about the weather :)

It will be intersting to see the long FL performance. I'm betting on the quality of the lens making up for the high F ratio, after all, you get plenty of Mak Cassegrains working at F15 with no trouble, and having guided the 14 at F10, if the mount is as good as I think it'll be, F12 to F16 should be OK.

Eddie, when did you get rid of your scope?

Kevin....Christmas and my half-century combined!!!

Won't happen again!!!

Cheers

Rob

I bought it Rob. Happy Birthday BTW :)

Regards

Kevin

What a stack of toys Rob, and it would be great if you can get it up and and running perfectly on your Birthday. The excitement must be building inside you, and I think the anticipation of what's to come is felt by most of us. I hope the glitches, if any, are few, and the changeover goes smoothly. Now, the big question. Who took the picture. :)

Ron. :thumbright:

Ron, I took the picture.. I am allowed (!) in the obs. when he wants a hand, or when he wants spiders getting rid of. :) For the rest of the time I keep well away. It's go so bad that we even have a walkie talkie system, so I can let him know when his dinner is ready.. grrr grrrr...... :) Amanda..

Archived