SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Feathertouch focuser threads

I have a Feathertouch 3” focuser that I am trying to fit a Pegasus Focus Cube 2 onto. The Cube comes with M4 bolts which Pegasus say fit the focus locking thumb screw and associated grub screw so that you can mount the cube. I have found that these ‘M4’ bolts don’t screw all the way in only about 2 turns before binding. I have physically compared the two threads side by side and the Feathertouch thread is not M4. Pegasus say they are M4 on their 3.5” but I don’t have one of those so that’s not really helpful. 

So What?

Has anyone fitted a Auto focuser to a FTF3035b 3” focuser and can tell me what thread size bolt I need? I’m guessing it’s imperial.

3DF2B0A6-8E0A-4BF5-B670-F255B2D70D66.jpeg

Edited by PadrePeace
Text change

8 minutes ago, PadrePeace said:

I have a Feathertouch 3” focuser that I am trying to fit a Pegasus Focus Cube 2 onto. The Cube comes with M4 bolts which Pegasus say fit the focus locking thumb screw and associated grub screw so that you can mount the cube. I have found that these ‘M4’ bolts don’t screen all the way in only about 2 turns before binding. I have physically compare the two threads side by side and the Feathertouch thread is not M4. 

Has anyone fitted a Auto focuser to a FTF3035b 3” focuser and can tell me what thread bolt I need? I’m guessing it’s imperial. 

Have you got a set of imperial taps? If so you can lay the locking screw against them to see which thread it lines up with. Not sure but I might have some imperial taps. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

25 minutes ago, PadrePeace said:

what thread size bolt I need? I’m guessing it’s imperial.

¼" UNC is a very close match for M4, but the threads are slightly different, enough for binding to take place after a few turns. You can get them on eBay in small quantities for little money, so it'd be worth a punt just to see. Try here.

Ian

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Ah the quaint old fashioned Americans and there old fashioned screw threads. 😁

The joke being that they use the "imperial" system having gotten independence from the UK and we use metric having invented imperial.