Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew proof power supply advice.

I'm currently looking for a power supply solution.   I live in rented accommodation with no outside sockets so wiil have to run an extension cable out of the window down to the scope. I'm currently looking at a weatherproof electric box to house the scope end of the extension.  Am I correct in assuming any transformer for the mount (or other equipment) has to be housed within the box.  

Any other suggestions would be helpful.  Currently using a SW power bank to power my eq5 mount and asiair Pro.  

That's exactly what I'm doing. I didn't anticipate any problems with dew inside the box, but I only started this in spring. 

As long as you have an outdoor extension and an RCD in the house I don't think you'll go too far wrong.

Edited by rnobleeddy

On 20/09/2020 at 20:39, rnobleeddy said:

That's exactly what I'm doing. I didn't anticipate any problems with dew inside the box, but I only started this in spring. 

As long as you have an outdoor extension and an RCD in the house I don't think you'll go too far wrong.

That's what I do, RCD inside weather prove box outside next to my table that has a large box on its side for the laptop to keep dry.

Do be careful. I’ve cut holes in a sandwich box before and used rubber buns to make a semi air tight seal for wires in and out and have a 249v connection inside the box to protect from the dew. Ideally use a 12v supply near the device rather than 240v, but it can be done. Be careful.

• Like 1