SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tuilp nebula

jetstream

I went on a mission last night to try the Propeller nebula and after a half hour of failed attempts I decided to go elsewhere. While the IC1318 complex was nice the scope nudged down a bit for a look. The sky was really good with the Milky Way sharply defined and the "hole" (dust) between the Cygnus spur and Cass was readily apparent. It is just off Cass and big.

The Crescent offered very nice structure in the 15"/ TV OIII and Nebustar II, 21E- these are very nice filters. After wandering around aimlessly following faint nebula in this area I figured a revisiting the to Little Veil was in order. Not to be fooled by that deceptive very nice chain of stars on the wrong side of the guide star I honed in on the Little Veil, showing as a nice ghost of a streak as always and not thst small in the 1828 fl scope. Very satisfying indeed.

During the trip from the Crescent to the Little Veil I stumbled on a nicely defined patch of nebulosity-hmmm did I see this before? Can't remember, so we'll call the Tulip neb a new to me observation. Listed as SH2-101 this neb showed defined maybe oblongish in the 21E and was not hard to see in either the OIII or UHC, the nod might go to the UHC, more testing required and I'll visit often.

One more thing- when observing the Little Veil SH2-91 I noticed a very faint streak of nebulosity "above" the main one- and I mean faint. I do believe this is another part of the nebula and this was very satifying to see, I've noticed more nebulosity in the area before but this was a great view of the feature and distinct (very very faintly distinct).

This 15" has sure served me well, giving thousands of observations and still going strong, eventhough the Moonlight is now creaking lol!

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 5

Interesting exploratory observations Gerry, the Propeller; Simeis 57 in Cygnus, did you attempt using varied filters? It does appear that it will be difficult if you haven't encountered it, I understand that a H-beta responds best to the 'brighter' northern placed strand DWB119. That certainly rules out any chance that I may have encountered it the other night, would have just been a more northern feature patchwork from IC 1318A. 

Good combination applied to the Crescent. That is interesting concerning the Little Veil; SH2-91. The Little Veil itself is on the cusp of eyepiece visibility, images do show a faint curved streak just above the main filament. Then to the N/E there is a faint patch classified as SH2-94 and directly above SH2-91, a fairly substantial long streak SH2-96. The characteristics are uncannily similar to the famous Cygnus Supernova Remnant. 

That is also interesting concerning the Tulip. Hadn't so far been able to locate this, stumbling onto it might probably have been the best thing. Interesting to learn that a UHC is good to enhance this object, I think a Lumicon Deep Sky Sky filter is purposeful on this to, I do not possess one and don't think that many of us do. 

If I got another chance to get out, not looking too promising, I would like to try a H-beta filter on the Butterfly Nebula, which is meant to enhance the nebula a little more from the glare of Sadr, also apply to IC1318A and yep why not the Propeller, but I don't expect much there. The Tulip though, I think Neil's had a go at this, would be good to target based on your description.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scarp15 said:

It does appear that it will be difficult if you haven't encountered it,

Not necessarily true Iain- I may not have been in the right spot... more time is needed and I might get the Sky Commander out to help me. Personally I do think you saw it, but now we just need to go over and over to confirm- in my case to find.

Yes the Tulip was not hard to see and I think Neil and his 10" would get it for sure- I'm positive actually. If an object appears when panning quickly its usually fairly easy.

I'm going after some more of the Little Veil, in the past I saw the other bright section over from where I was last night and hope to pick more up around this area. The 24" is great but makes it all too easy. There is a staggering difference between my 15" and the 24" on this kind of thing.

• Like 2

Just caught your interesting post on the Tulip. I’ve not observed it visually but here’s a H-a pic I took of it some years ago with a 98mm scope, really to show some of the context - just look at all that stuff in the same field.

E6C4F4C2-CF3F-4785-8AF9-450B4682B439.jpeg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JTEC said:

just look at all that stuff in the same field.

Thanks for this, seeing these images really help putting things in perspective and if this is Ha then it might explain the UHC. Years ago I reported seeing "texture" all over the place in the sky, filtered and unfiltered and there are a few of us that do. I believe now that its bits and pieces of nebula and dust etc. Holy cow thats a great image! I love these widefield B&W images of nebula.

Maybe I can use you as a resource to help sort out what I see?

One time with the 200mm f3.8 I went from the NAN and traced nebula all the way into Cepheus lol! I got the Wizard that night if I remember. It is so hard to identify some features and objects when in the "sea of nebulosity".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jetstream said:

It is so hard to identify some features and objects when in the "sea of nebulosity".

Agreed. It sounds as if you have access to some good dark skies ;>)  I understand what you say about textured background - from the darkest sites I’ve visited, lying on your back scanning the MW through Cygnus, say, gives an impression of continuity. Not always easy to separate scattered starlight from nebulosity, I find, at least without filtration. 200mm f3.8 sounds interesting!