SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focus problems - Opticron WP 20x80 binoculars

bond19

Hi Stargazers

I have the opportunity to purchase a secondhand pair of Opticron WP 20x80 binoculars at a very reasonable price. 

I am well versed on how to set the Dioptric to bring sharp focus to a pair of binoculars. However I just can’t get this pair of binoculars to come to focus?

Here is what happens. If I close the right eye and use the main focus wheel I can get the left objective into sharp focus. But when I swap over and try with the opposite (right) eye I simply cannot bring the right objective into focus using the diopter. 

However, if I work backwards, and close the left eye and use the focus wheel and dioptre combination I can bring the right objective into sharp focus. But then no matter how I try I cannot bring the left object into focus. Any suggestions please?  does this suggest they are out of collimation?

Thank you 

Are the arms that connect the eyepieces to the centre focus spindle both straight and not loose? When you can get focus with the RH dioptre side is the LH side needing in or outward focus. I wonder if the dioptre side has been apart at some stage and reassembled incorrectly, limiting the travel needed to get focus.

21 hours ago, bond19 said:

If I close the right eye

I find keeping both eyes open the best way to focus binoculars when focusing on a star.

Get best focus then adjust diopter then try a small racking in and out of the main focus until best star shape is achieved then maybe a final small diopter change.

Edited by Bruce Leeroy
  • Like 1

it's almost certainly because the right eyepiece dioptre has been mis-set. I don't know how applicable this will be to your binocular (there have been several incarnations of Opticron 20x80s), but if it is one of the more recent ones, this might help:
Resetting the Right Eyepiece Dioptre

• Like 1

The process is almost but not quite as shown in Steve's guide. These pics and instructions might help you identify which bits need tweaking to reset the dioptre adjustment but if you need some help call our service department on 01582 726522, option 1.

Incidentally those binos were covered by a 30 year, transferrable warranty so you will probably have some element of that still remaining.

Cheers, Pete
Sales Manager, Opticron

wp obs dioptre adjustment.pdf

Edited by pete_gamby
  • Like 4

Thanks Steve and Pete, That was my strong inclination. I'll dive deep into your collective guides and see if I can resolve this.. Unfortunately due to other commitments it's now going have to wait until mid next week.

Pete, if I get real stuck I'll give your department a call :)

Edited by bond19

On 24/09/2020 at 12:10, pete_gamby said:

The process is almost but not quite as shown in Steve's guide. These pics and instructions might help you identify which bits need tweaking to reset the dioptre adjustment but if you need some help call our service department on 01582 726522, option 1.

Incidentally those binos were covered by a 30 year, transferrable warranty so you will probably have some element of that still remaining.

Cheers, Pete
Sales Manager, Opticron

wp obs dioptre adjustment.pdf 202.05 kB · 9 downloads

Hi Pete,

I tried adjusting the diopter screws but unfortunately that did not resolve my issue. It seems the right eyepiece fairly easily 'slides' in and out of the eye tube. It can simply be 'pulled' out completely. What I have noticed is the eyepiece will screw down into place. However when securely and fully screwed down the eyepiece will not come to focus using the diopter. But when I unscrew the eyepiece and pull it out of the eyepiece tube (by about 1/4 cm) then I am able to get the eyepiece into a decent and sharp focus.

I'll phone the service department later today to discuss in more details if that's okay?

Thanks

Chris

• Sad 1

My focusing issue has been resolved thanks to a very helpful lady from Opticron. The binoculars now find sweet focus. Looks like I might get chance to try them out tonight under semi clear skies (here's hoping).

Thanks Pete and team at Opticron for outstanding customer service. Especially considering I am a second hand owner of these binos. I really do appreciate this.

Chris

Edited by bond19
  • Like 2

Glad the issue was resolved. As far as I know these are made by Vixen, and look identical to the Vixen ARK 20x80mm bins of a former PhD student of mine. I also briefly had the 16x80 version, but the maximum IPD was 72 mm which was just shy of my 73 mm IPD. I didn't notice this in the 20x80s, which gave beautiful sharp images, but with the larger exit pupil of the 16x80s it was a bit of an issue. I now have the Helios LightQuest 16x80, which go to 74 mm IPD, so I have room to spare.

10 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Glad the issue was resolved. As far as I know these are made by Vixen, and look identical to the Vixen ARK 20x80mm bins of a former PhD student of mine. I also briefly had the 16x80 version, but the maximum IPD was 72 mm which was just shy of my 73 mm IPD. I didn't notice this in the 20x80s, which gave beautiful sharp images, but with the larger exit pupil of the 16x80s it was a bit of an issue. I now have the Helios LightQuest 16x80, which go to 74 mm IPD, so I have room to spare.

Michael,

They are indeed a wonderful binocular. I had a peek at the double cluster when I first got them a couple of weeks ago. Despite being a little 'wonky' the cluster was easily the best I've ever seen it. The 3.5 degree FOV framed it beautifully. 

1 hour ago, bond19 said:

My focusing issue has been resolved thanks to a very helpful lady from Opticron. The binoculars now find sweet focus. Looks like I might get chance to try them out tonight under semi clear skies (here's hoping).

Thanks Pete and team at Opticron for outstanding customer service. Especially considering I am a second hand owner of these binos. I really do appreciate this.

Chris

A good customer is better than a good sale any day. It is too bad more transient sales people haven't had the experience to understand this. And I think Opticron has just minted a new ... good customer.

Bill

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bond19 said:

100% correct Bill. I am bowled over by their assistance today. Couldn't be happier. 

"Experts" told me that I couldn't make any money doing things the way I did. 'Fact is, I couldn't give things away fast enough to keep it from coming back to me in spades. A fellow from western Montana came by my shop in Seattle while on his way to see his sister who lived in Red Bank (or Redding) California. That was a few hundred miles out of the way. As the man was paying for his 2 Swarovski ELs, I asked him why. He said: "If I'm gonna spend this kind of money, I want to talk to somebody who knows what the hell he is talking about."

The Bureau of Labor Statistics says the average 20-year old will have 8 jobs and 3 careers before he leaves the workforce. As one who has been in optics from childhood, I think that's too much moving around to be an expert in anything. That was beneficial to me.

Bill

• Like 1

On 29/09/2020 at 15:37, DaveL59 said:

that's great news Chris. Maybe worth posting how it was solved for future reference in case someone else hits the same issue

Dave this was the procedure I undertook to fix my focus issue.

1. Close right eye and then look though left eyepiece using the left eye and find sharp focus

2. Remove the eyecup from the binocular by unscrewing it (see fig 1. & fig 2.)

3. Using a 0.9 Allen key, locate and unscrew the three small hex screws (see fig 3.)

4. Remove the diopter completely from the binocular (see fig 4.)

5. Close left eye and look through right hand eyepiece using the right eye

6. Adjust the right eyepiece by twisting until the right eyepiece is in sharp focus. You may need a pair of grips. (see fig 5.)

7. Once focus has been achieved, undo the previous steps (reattached diopter, screw down the three hex screws and finally screw the eyecup back onto the binoculars)

Hope this is helpful to others who are facing the same issues I had.

89D5CAC2-9020-4F8C-9D4B-7292AE929F31_1_201_a.jpeg

055A8F40-E8F4-4C9F-BFAC-052DC3CCFBB1_1_201_a.jpeg

6AD931D7-00C8-4423-8BC1-134E3912EB8E_1_201_a.jpeg

2C72CA99-11FD-4F80-8155-1F42474D9D10_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_5850.jpeg

0CCC4C7B-10C7-4E5B-8ECF-57F70447F56F.heic

Edited by bond19
  • Like 1