Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is that a lot of junk, or useful stuff...?

Rosanella

All satellites have a limited life. Only those in low earth orbit (LEO) come back. Geostationary (Sat TV and comms) get moved further out to allow space for new ones. Most are left dead to circle for hundreds of years.

Problems have occurred with bits off satellites colliding and damaging others, the problem can only get worse. Anyone out there wanting to start an astro Steptoe & Son firm to bring back the junk.

Mike

Do we actually need them all? :scratch: Surely not!!!

all depends if you want Sat TV, global phone calls, weather maps, google earth, accurate maps, GPS, live news from remote trouble spots, emergency radios for ships and aircraft, a host of environmental mapping and monitoring functions and a bunch of other stuff. :)

I think it has got worse...

You can track some of them in real time with this Java applet...

http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/jtrack/3d/JTrack3D.html

Regards

Mark

Thank you for the link. Goodness gracious, that's a lot of satellites :shock: Earth will be covered by satellites in another 10 years time, and surely it will affect the way we receive sunlight, if we arent' affected already...

all depends if you want Sat TV, global phone calls, weather maps, google earth, accurate maps, GPS, live news from remote trouble spots, emergency radios for ships and aircraft, a host of environmental mapping and monitoring functions and a bunch of other stuff. :)

Scientists will need to think about designing all-in-one satellites :)

One thing you do need to remember with those images is that they are massively misrepresenting the scale of the satellites. Each dot is supposed to represent one satellite - whereas in fact the scale of each dot compared the size of the earth would more likely represent one CITY! :)

So while I agree that the issue of space junk and debris is a big issue which needs sorting out to safeguard spacetravel and future satellites, I don't think it's quite that fair to present the immediate space environment as something akin to a rush hour traffic jam. For sure, there are a LOT of objects orbiting our planet, but in terms of scale they are tiny and very very far apart.

They are hardly joslting for elbow room. The issue is more about intersecting orbits where new satellites collide with old satellites or orbiting debris which no one has any control over.

So while I agree that the issue of space junk and debris is a big issue which needs sorting out to safeguard spacetravel and future satellites, I don't think it's quite that fair to present the immediate space environment as something akin to a rush hour traffic jam. For sure, there are a LOT of objects orbiting our planet, but in terms of scale they are tiny and very very far apart.

There's no traffic jam yet, but the Science community ought to put some methods in place now that will prevent a crowded environment above Earth atmosphere as time goes by, rather than later. After all, we are dealing with space environment which is still very new to us, requiring a lot of adjustments and risk assessments, so now it is the time to make the most of it while maintaining a proactive approach to prevent for the worse to happen, since things might be quite different in 10-20 years time considering the fast pace at which technology is moving (In my humble opinion :) )

I don't suppose you can use a Vacuum Cleaner in a Vacuum... So No use having a space Hoover.... so that idea sucks ... or rather doesn't :)

If they do any more "space Weapons" tests the situation will get a whole lot worse.... Oh sorry they aren't space weapons are they because space isn't supposed to be militarised...oops heading into politics there so better back off...

But its quite worrying when even a fleck of paint can do so much damage....

On slightly different note I am sure i read somewhere that the asteroid belt is also a lot sparser than is usually portrayed in films etc... dont suppose there much cinematic effect in the odd rock every couple of thousand kilometers though...

Billy...

I don't suppose you can use a Vacuum Cleaner in a Vacuum... So No use having a spacee Hoover.... so that idea sucks ... or rather doesn't :)

If they do any more "spce Weapons" tests the situation will get a whole lot worse.... Oh sorry they aren't space weapons are they because space isn't supposed to be militarised...opps heading into politics there so better back off...

But its quite worrying when even a fleck of paint can do so much damage....

On slightly different note I am sure i read somewhere taht the asteroid belta is also a lot sparses than is usually portrayed in films etc... dont suppose there much cinematic effect in the odd rock every couple of thousand kilometers though...

Billy...

The average distance between asteroids is about 2 million miles.........you have to give Hollywood some artistic licence though I suppose.....

Archived