SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I have mixed feelings about my 10” dob…

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

My scope really needs one of these! My wallet doesn't. 😋

I think @John's comment that the real spending STARTS when you get a nice ED scope is spot on. :biggrin:

It did for me. Started with Delos and ended up with ethos somehow. Personally I don’t need the zoom now. I should be ok with my little collection of not so little glass. 

• Like 1

@Dantooine I just have to make sure, but are you using the 2" BBHS prism diagonal or the T2 prism that FLO also sells. The T2 prism has a free aperture of 35mm and the field stop of my 2" ES 24mm eyepiece is 34mm, so would that even work out(I know it should, but would vignetting be a problem for example)?

7 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

@Dantooine I just have to make sure, but are you using the 2" BBHS prism diagonal or the T2 prism that FLO also sells. The T2 prism has a free aperture of 35mm and the field stop of my 2" ES 24mm eyepiece is 34mm, so would that even work out(I know it should, but would vignetting be a problem for example)?

I have the 2” BBHS prism.  It’s slightly larger than the T2. Picture attached. John on here I think uses the T2 version and I’m sure he uses his with his 21 ethos. 

7CC0467A-8173-4951-9E74-BE7840CED5FB.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I don’t think flo have the 2” prism diagonal on their website. Just the mirror version. 

• Like 1

Just came back inside after another amazing session with the new scope! I dug out my 2.5X barlow and did some experimenting:) Let's just say I'm blown away! Observed Mars at 380X and no false color was visible and the view was still quite detailed (although contrast was lower). Surprisingly I found the best view to be either at 266X with the barlow and 6.7mm eyepiece or at 380X with the 4.7mm since the image was a little more dim and "relaxing".

Did some double stars as well where I easily managed a split at 2.1 arc seconds(152X), so I think the optics of this scope are truly great!!

I have to get up in a little over 6 hours to go to work so write-up will wait until tomorrow afternoon:)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Just came back inside after another amazing session with the new scope! I dug out my 2.5X barlow and did some experimenting:) Let's just say I'm blown away! Observed Mars at 380X and no false color was visible and the view was still quite detailed (although contrast was lower). Surprisingly I found the best view to be either at 266X with the barlow and 6.7mm eyepiece or at 380X with the 4.7mm since the image was a little more dim and "relaxing".

Did some double stars as well where I easily managed a split at 2.1 arc seconds(152X), so I think the optics of this scope are truly great!!

I have to get up in a little over 6 hours to go to work so write-up will wait until tomorrow afternoon:)

Super result! The optics are clearly very good. I think your excellent eyes are doing you a great service too - at 380x all I would see is floaters! :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Super result! The optics are clearly very good. I think your excellent eyes are doing you a great service too - at 380x all I would see is floaters! :biggrin:

Same optics.. better eyes.

Oh dear, I see floaters at the 150x mark and at around 200x it’s like I’m looking at bacteria 🦠 through a microscope. It’s just something I’ve got used to seeing and doesn’t stop me.

Maybe I will try these high magnifications one night and tell myself I’ve found life on the planets I’m looking at.

Victor you have really pushed that new telescope, well done. 

• Like 2

And after 8 hours of work (funds have to come from somewhere😅) I have finally posted my second light post and there's a little surprise in there as well;)

Floaters were surprisingly not too bothering, and I only saw a couple despite the 0.27mm exit pupil:icon_rabbit:
Here's the post:

Victor

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I though I'd return to this thread as I've just settled my decision with my dob, which was really the prime topic of the thread! I just put it for sale on a local astronomy group in Denmark, and I hope I can find a newcomer to the hobby and help them get started and hooked, since that's what the dob did to me!! The dob has served me very well, and I know for sure it won't be my last one:lol:

For anyone stumbling upon this thread from this post, I purchased the following refractor a couple months ago, since I wanted something more portable than my dobsonian yet larger than my small Evostar 72ED

I'm very happy with the purchase, and I think it satisfies my current needs and situation in life very well! It will be an emotional good bye as soon as the dob exits the door for its last time, but I know/hope it will find more use with a new owner!

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me reach my conclusion!!

Victor

• Like 4