Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have mixed feelings about my 10” dob…

3 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

It looks a very fine telescope. Just have to be patient now for first light. I think you will find you have made a very good choice. What is the 24mm eyepiece that you cant get focus with? I’ve not had any problem with focus on any of my eyepieces with my Altair version. 

Thanks! I know I have to wait out the obligatory bad weather unfortunately:clouds2: The 24mm eyepiece is an Explorer Scientific 2" 82 degree eyepiece. I find it difficult to see if I need more inwards travel distance or outwards actually. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow. What I do know for sure though is that it doesn't reach focus;)

4 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Thanks! I know I have to wait out the obligatory bad weather unfortunately:clouds2: The 24mm eyepiece is an Explorer Scientific 2" 82 degree eyepiece. I find it difficult to see if I need more inwards travel distance or outwards actually. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow. What I do know for sure though is that it doesn't reach focus;)

I used mine with Es/82 range from 14mm down to 4.7mm without issues however I used the Es 24/68 where you have the 2 inch. Maybe someone can elaborate on this. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new scope and welcome to the club! 😁 The focus issue is odd, my 2” 38mm Panaview is fine with a 2” eyepiece. You will probably find that focusing on a star at infinity actually makes quite a difference to where focus is - I have a feeling it will be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, RobertI said:

Congratulations on your new scope and welcome to the club! 😁 The focus issue is odd, my 2” 38mm Panaview is fine with a 2” eyepiece. You will probably find that focusing on a star at infinity actually makes quite a difference to where focus is - I have a feeling it will be fine. 

Thank you very much Rob!! With regards to my focus issue I also hope that's the case! Hopefully I'll get to know soon;)

• Like 1

Congratulations Victor.  I'd hand you a cigar if I smoked, but I don't, so it will just have to be a thumbs up!  :thumbsup:

Is it a boy or a girl?  For some strange reason I want to call it a She because its so beautiful, but I am a bit strange at the best of times. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Congratulations Victor.  I'd hand you a cigar if I smoked, but I don't, so it will just have to be a thumbs up!  :thumbsup:

Is it a boy or a girl?  For some strange reason I want to call it a She because its so beautiful, but I am a bit strange at the best of times. 

Thank you Mike!! Although I actually don't know what gender it would be:icon_scratch: I do like it a lot already though;)

I managed to get my first light this morning, as I woke up at 3:20AM😅 It looks like a very promising scope!

@RobertI and @Dantooine I did some more testing with my 2" 24mm eyepiece which can also be found in the post. TL;DR, I think a 2" diagonal would solve the problem since my 1.25" eyepieces also don't reach focus without a diagonal.

Edited by Victor Boesen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Victor Boesen said:

Thank you Mike!! Although I actually don't know what gender it would be:icon_scratch: I do like it a lot already though;)

I managed to get my first light this morning, as I woke up at 3:20AM😅 It looks like a very promising scope!

@RobertI and @Dantooine I did some more testing with my 2" 24mm eyepiece which can also be found in the post. TL;DR, I think a 2" diagonal would solve the problem since my 1.25" eyepieces also don't reach focus without a diagonal.

I use a prism diagonal rather than a mirror. Maybe it’s something to do with the length of the light path. I’m sure you will find the solution. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I have a guilty secret - I have named all my scopes after sci-if characters (serious or comedy) - the 102ED-R is Lady Penelope (from Thunderbirds). 😂

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I have a guilty secret - I have named all my scopes after sci-if characters (serious or comedy) - the 102ED-R is Lady Penelope (from Thunderbirds). 😂

You rang, m'lady?

🙂

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RobertI said:

We will know you are in trouble when you paint the tube Pink :)

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Out of curiosity, what diagonal are you using?

Victor, I have the baader 2” prism diagonal. It’s quite expensive but to me it seems light  and is a joy to use. It works very well with my setup. I think you can build yourself a nice prism setup with the baader T2 separate parts for less money . The prism is slightly smaller Than the full 2”but supposed to be very good.  I think John uses this on his refractor successfully. I think the prisms have a different length of light path to the mirror diagonals. Hopefully someone will read this who has the full knowledge about this and give us the answer. I’ve just woken up and looked out to a clear sky and put the 102 outside to cool. I’m quite excited as I wasn’t expecting a gap in the weather. 

regards

Dale. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dantooine said:

Victor, I have the baader 2” prism diagonal. It’s quite expensive but to me it seems light  and is a joy to use. It works very well with my setup. I think you can build yourself a nice prism setup with the baader T2 separate parts for less money . The prism is slightly smaller Than the full 2”but supposed to be very good.  I think John uses this on his refractor successfully. I think the prisms have a different length of light path to the mirror diagonals. Hopefully someone will read this who has the full knowledge about this and give us the answer. I’ve just woken up and looked out to a clear sky and put the 102 outside to cool. I’m quite excited as I wasn’t expecting a gap in the weather. 

regards

Dale. 

I have both the T2 prisms, Zeiss and BBHS mirror, both are really good, not cheap - Christmas is coming though and its always a good time to ask for donations towards astro gear.  The modular concept gives lots of options as to how you build them up.

Light path for the 2" prism is quoted as 100mm, for the 2" BBHS mirror its roughly 10mm more, the T2 Zeiss is shorter probably nearer 70mm with a 1.25 clicklock holder or 85ish mm if going to a 2"clicklock it also has 34mm clear aperture.  

I found once i added a clicklock to my Vixen SD103 focuser that the additional length added meant my 1.25" Pentax's and Tele Vues would not quite reach focus in my 2" BBHS diagonal but would with the shorter T2 using a 2" clicklock. 

Could be what the ES24 / 82 needs

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, omo said:

I have both the T2 prisms, Zeiss and BBHS mirror, both are really good, not cheap - Christmas is coming though and its always a good time to ask for donations towards astro gear.  The modular concept gives lots of options as to how you build them up.

Light path for the 2" prism is quoted as 100mm, for the 2" BBHS mirror its roughly 10mm more, the T2 Zeiss is shorter probably nearer 70mm with a 1.25 clicklock holder or 85ish mm if going to a 2"clicklock it also has 34mm clear aperture.  

I found once i added a clicklock to my Vixen SD103 focuser that the additional length added meant my 1.25" Pentax's and Tele Vues would not quite reach focus in my 2" BBHS diagonal but would with the shorter T2 using a 2" clicklock. 

Thank you. This is just the information I wanted to be able  To tell Victor but was not sure of myself. I trust in the click lock system to hold eyepieces firm. 

9 hours ago, Dantooine said:

regards

Dale. 

Thank you. The Baader prins diagonal seems like a safe choice! This will be an my wish list for Christmas;) 

Did you get your scope out for a spin?

3 hours ago, omo said:

Very useful to know! Thank you very much for sharing;)

On 08/10/2020 at 18:47, Victor Boesen said:

I think that you will find that the ES 24mm 82 degree eyepiece will focus about 10 mm further out than your 1.25 in ES eyepieces, if they focus at a point near to the end of travel on your focusing mount you may need a short extension tube.

John 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Thank you. The Baader prins diagonal seems like a safe choice! This will be an my wish list for Christmas;) 

Did you get your scope out for a spin?

Yes. I woke up in the night as this is my new normal thing to do, looked out the window and mars was smiling. I got to use my new ethos 3.7mm. Such a good thing to use. I get 193x with it, that’s my maximum with my telescope. I could see lots of detail but it seems the ice is disappearing. I was only out for about an hour and a half. 1 hour on mars and half hour on the moon testing the eyepiece. My conclusion is it’s fantastic with amazing lunar detail.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johnturley said:

I think that you will find that the ES 24mm 82 degree eyepiece will focus about 10 mm further out than your 1.25 in ES eyepieces, if they focus at a point near to the end of travel on your focusing mount you may need a short extension tube.

John 

The Takahashi diagonal is great for my small Evostar since it has such a short optical path, although I'm using quite a long 2"-1.25" adapter. I will try the shorter adapter supplied with my new scope and check how much inwards travel distance I have left. I'd love if the *future* 2" diagonal I end up getting will work in both scopes, but if one scope needs a longer light path and the other a short light path, this might be difficult:icon_scratch: From a little reading it seems that mirrors and dielectrics have a longer optical path than prisms. I will do some rough measuring in both my scopes to make sure it'll fit both:thumbright:

2 hours ago, Dantooine said:

Yes. I woke up in the night as this is my new normal thing to do, looked out the window and mars was smiling. I got to use my new ethos 3.7mm. Such a good thing to use. I get 193x with it, that’s my maximum with my telescope. I could see lots of detail but it seems the ice is disappearing. I was only out for about an hour and a half. 1 hour on mars and half hour on the moon testing the eyepiece. My conclusion is it’s fantastic with amazing lunar detail.  

Sounds great! The Nagler zoom has had my attention since I purchased my Evostar last year, since I use nothing else than my 4.7mm for lunar and planetary, and from the first light with the new scope it seems that it certainly wouldn't mind some higher magnifications either:icon_biggrin: Perhaps one day I'll get to try it out, but I find my 4.7mm to be a great eyepiece for planetary and lunar at 152X. I'll prioritize to get a proper 2" diagonal to hopefully fix focusing issues and perhaps a padded case for the scope, eyepieces, diagonal and a couple of filters.

43 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

The Takahashi diagonal is great for my small Evostar since it has such a short optical path, although I'm using quite a long 2"-1.25" adapter. I will try the shorter adapter supplied with my new scope and check how much inwards travel distance I have left. I'd love if the *future* 2" diagonal I end up getting will work in both scopes, but if one scope needs a longer light path and the other a short light path, this might be difficult:icon_scratch: From a little reading it seems that mirrors and dielectrics have a longer optical path than prisms. I will do some rough measuring in both my scopes to make sure it'll fit both:thumbright:

With a 2 in mirror (longer optical path) diagonal your eyepieces will focus further in, I have both the Baader 2in Dielectric, and BBHS Click Lock mirror diagonals, which have an optical path of 112 mm. The Baader 2in and T2 prism diagonals have stated optical paths of 100 mm and just 38.5 mm respectively, and will focus further out.

John 

48 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Sounds great! The Nagler zoom has had my attention since I purchased my Evostar last year, since I use nothing else than my 4.7mm for lunar and planetary, and from the first light with the new scope it seems that it certainly wouldn't mind some higher magnifications either:icon_biggrin: Perhaps one day I'll get to try it out, but I find my 4.7mm to be a great eyepiece for planetary and lunar at 152X. I'll prioritize to get a proper 2" diagonal to hopefully fix focusing issues and perhaps a padded case for the scope, eyepieces, diagonal and a couple of filters.

Up until now that’s what I’ve been using, 4.7mm at 152x. It can get used quite a lot. For me it showed what I wanted but I just had to go a little further to see “a little more”.  The 4.7 will I’m sure still get far more use than the 3.7mm. I only use the 102f7 so these are my maximum magnification eyepieces. 

58 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Sorry to feed your addiction but a Nagler Xoom has just come up for sale on here 🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Sorry to feed your addiction but a Nagler Xoom has just come up for sale on here 🤣

My scope really needs one of these! My wallet doesn't. 😋

I think @John's comment that the real spending STARTS when you get a nice ED scope is spot on. :biggrin:

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

I'm in the same boat as @RobertI unfortunately😅 I've seen a couple for sale on here so I'm sure I'll see another one some time... *typing this nervously*:unsure::wink2:

But John is for sure right:biggrin:

• Like 1