SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Third space oddity in Cepheus caught by the RASA8

gorann

Here is the third in a triplet of odd looking nebulosity in Cepheus caught with the RASA 8. It is LDN1251 caught last night, and I have recently posted VdB 152 and LDN 1235.

The ASI2600MC war as previously run at gain 100 and collected 67 x 5 min before dawn, so 5.6 hours.

20200918-19 LDN1251 RASA PS23smallSign.jpg

• Like 18

37 minutes ago, andrew s said:

@gorann I think your series of images with the RASA 8 and ASI2600MC is challenging the accepted ideas of imaging kit for this type of object.

Regards Andrew 

Thanks Andrew! Yes, I have personally been very positively surprised about this relatively inexpensive scope compared to the alternative "astrographs" that often cost a fortune. I think Celestron has really done a good job which has unfortunately suffered from the bad reputation of the Hyperstar concept, which is apparently a very cumbersome add on. I think there are very few similariteis between RASAs and Hyperstars. I have not had to do any collimation even if I bought it second hand.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot Adam! Not much skill needed by the operator - I have it on my cheapest mount (a 6 year old NEQ6) and have an 8 year old Mac Powerbook to download the images (using the free ASICAP) and to run PHD2. It did take me the afternoon to process (PI & PS) as it is quite faint, but no special secret tricks used and that is what I usually spend to get a first presentable image.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Adam! Not much skill needed by the operator - I have it on my cheapest mount (a 6 year old NEQ6) and have an 8 year old Mac Powerbook to download the images (using the free ASICAP) and to run PHD2. It did take me the afternoon to process (PI & PS) as it is quite faint, but no special secret tricks used and that is what I usually spend to get a first presentable image.

Same here, ran my Tak on an old EQ6 and old PC before getting a new mount. I guess the skill lies in the processing 😂

I did get 4 hours LRGB on this target last night so I am very intrigued to see how it compares to yours above.  I’m considering a significant reshuffle in my imaging profile, so really just assessing my options. 

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Same here, ran my Tak on an old EQ6 and old PC before getting a new mount. I guess the skill lies in the processing 😂

I did get 4 hours LRGB on this target last night so I am very intrigued to see how it compares to yours above.  I’m considering a significant reshuffle in my imaging profile, so really just assessing my options. 

Funny that we were both sucking photons from the same target last night. I look forward to see what you gathered.

PS. It just struck me that the nebula looks like a litte fat fish with sunglasses on. Maybe it does not know that the Shark nebula (LDN1235) is nearby🥴.

Edited by gorann
  • Haha 1

On 19/09/2020 at 23:03, wimvb said:

If I count correctly, fourteen images within one month with this combination. You're delivering both quantity AND quality. Great set of images. But please, please, do leave us some photons. 😋

Yes Wim, this has been a very productive period thanks both my new RASA 8 - ASI2600 combination and relatively good weather. And when imaging at FL 400 mm you do not need perfect seeing. I have realized that in this hobby you need to take the opportunity when it is there. Now clouds have moved in and may stay until the moon is back🥴