Jump to content

92335031_Perseidsmeteorshowerbanner.jpg.f082cb58353bce3cc854fb958f76fc98.jpg

Another scope cover thread


Recommended Posts

I've noted the positive regard about Telegizmos covers. I'm looking for something cheaper and found that STL have some products around the £40 mark. However, they seem to function as solar covers too, with a bright 'aluminized' coating. I'm looking for something more discrete and less likely to attract attention. One other consideration is silent operation. I need the cover for temporary use the garden and need to keep noise down (don't want the rustling of plastic covers, etc.). I'm really looking for a cover (that can be folded up) rather than an upturned bin, etc. Any suggestions please? Perhaps an oversized anorak from a clearance outlet?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have experience of Cygnus Astro Covers? I found this site which might fit the bill for a discrete medium weight cover to leave the setup outdoors for a while. The blurb says the covers are made from 4oz breathable nylon fabric (didn't know that was possible), stitched with polyester thread and all seams sealed. Probably not as good at keeping things cool but blending in to the garden greenery is the priority.

 

https://neilross758.wixsite.com/cygnus-astro-covers/breathable-covers

 

P.S. I have no affiliation with the supplier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cygnus Astro Covers, underwent consultation for having one made for my 8" dob, a few years ago. Fits OK, used on a few occasions, was good value so yes worthy of consideration. 

Picture of the dob and with the cover on.

 

P1050652 (1).JPG

P1050687 (1).JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outdoors, I have another cover, an old airport complementary, large polythene, ski bag for draping over inside, used as a dust cover. When used outside it becomes purposeful if left for a few hours for nightfall incase of any passing showers, as well as when at a dark sky site for if some weather blows in. The draw cord is also useful, it does not flap about or behave like a wind sock, should it be at all a little breezy.

Just for the record and to complete the set, here is a picture for the indoor, dust proof, storage arrangement complete with Braathens Air 'flight bags'.

 

P1070452.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just watched some video reviews on YouTube for the Telegizmo cover. The fail for me is the noise it makes when putting on/taking off (possibly due to the foil liner).  I'm currently investigating the Astro Jackets covers (available on that well known auction site). They seem to be reasonably well made. The cover is flat (like a pillowcase) and does not have any material let for the shape of the scope on the mount, so as you pull it over say on an SCT on a GEM it is going to ride up and pull across. Can't quite envisage how this might look (possibly a bit baggy?).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, inapottingshed said:

Thanks. I'm intrigued. You flew with those OTA's?

ha no of course not, had them for years, preceded the scopes, used for ski bags heading to Norway, nordic skiing. 

Telegigizo scope covers are very good to I have one for my 85mm frac. A softer material is Astro Systems such as the scope coat. White is probably useful, I have one of these for my 14" dob, very good, quick easy to slip on when required to in a hurry, just need to watch for cross winds, the fabric acted like a sail and on one occasion momentarily rocked the scope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

ha no of course not, had them for years, preceded the scopes, used for ski bags heading to Norway, nordic skiing. 

Telegigizo scope covers are very good to I have one for my 85mm frac. A softer material is Astro Systems such as the scope coat. White is probably useful, I have one of these for my 14" dob, very good, quick easy to slip on when required to in a hurry, just need to watch for cross winds, the fabric acted like a sail and on one occasion momentarily rocked the scope.

How quiet is the fabric when fitting and removing? White is good to reflect heat, though possibly attracts attention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes white is good such as if your equipment is set up at a star party and reflect any sunlight. At night yes it can appear a bit like a ghost. Polyurethane coated nylon, the fabric is soft and quiet, a close second would be the nylon material on the green coloured Cygnus Atro and the Telegizmo in third place. I take it that you are looking for something quite stealth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, inapottingshed said:

How quiet is the fabric when fitting and removing? White is good to reflect heat, though possibly attracts attention.

I’m intrigued as to why you need it so quiet (just being nosey I suppose) I use a Telegizmos and don’t find it to be at all noisey, no more sound than any other large cover I imagine and it doesn’t flap around at all if you get the right size for the scope and mount. I know they are expensive but they really are the best and I leave my scope and mount in all weathers for long periods of time.....they are worth the extra expense for piece of mind 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Yes white is good such as if your equipment is set up at a star party and reflect any sunlight. At night yes it can appear a bit like a ghost. Polyurethane coated nylon, the fabric is soft and quiet, a close second would be the nylon material on the green coloured Cygnus Atro and the Telegizmo in third place. I take it that you are looking for something quite stealth.

Thanks and, correct. Backyard conditions are such that I need to keep all sources of noise in the early hours to a minimum to avoid the fly in the ointment of disturbing neighbours. I know that even the Telegizmos covers are really not very noisy but don't want to open the door to remarks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I’m intrigued as to why you need it so quiet (just being nosey I suppose) I use a Telegizmos and don’t find it to be at all noisey, no more sound than any other large cover I imagine and it doesn’t flap around at all if you get the right size for the scope and mount. I know they are expensive but they really are the best and I leave my scope and mount in all weathers for long periods of time.....they are worth the extra expense for piece of mind 

See my other comment. Not sure if you use a guide scope but how to account for that when sizing a cover?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, inapottingshed said:

See my other comment. Not sure if you use a guide scope but how to account for that when sizing a cover?

Ah I see, it’s a good idea to consider the neighbors. Having used a number of covers over the years including those made by Green Witch (when they existed) and bbq covers, I can guarantee that the tg is no noisier. As for size, although they are a snug fit, if you were to leave a guide scope on it would probably just lift the bottom of the cover a bit higher from the ground, I don’t use guide scopes so can’t be sure of that. You could also consider a size one bigger than the one designed for your setup

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use the Telegizmos cover with my Nexstar 9.25" and it certainly seems an ideal all-weather cover.  Especially on those hot, sunny summer days that seem so rare.  During a gale it did fly away once when I didn't secure it properly, but with it's silvered surface it was easy enough to spot a couple of fields away! I did buy a size larger than the one recommended for my scope as I have a Telrad fitted and Telegizmos warn the it could tear the fabric.   I know they are costly, but they are looking after an expensive and delicate piece of kit in all kinds of weather.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Geoffw
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are probably a number of different routes to sorting a quality rain/outdoor cover. There is a brilliant seamstress near us that does a lot of wedding dresses and alterations, but I think she's a bit bored with that and likes different tasks. I've taken all sorts of items to her for repair. A scope cover would be an absolute doddle for her to make if you provided material. It's basically a big sack with a cord or drawstring and some strategically placed velcro. 

Likewise I was thinking about finding a good motorcycle cover for the 500p on those rare occasions I leave it set up for a few days. I've draped a two-man mountain tent rainfly over it with success for temporary passing showers.

My 300p flextube lives under a baby buggy raincover when parked outside and inside to keep dust off. Really heavy PVC material with elastic all round the edges.

Lots of different things could be used as a scope cover, just a matter of trial and error vs the ease of ordering a purpose-made scope cover at a higher cost I suppose. 

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Geoffw said:

I use the Telegizmos cover with my Nexstar 9.25" and it certainly seems an ideal all-weather cover.  Especially on those hot, sunny summer days that seem so rare.  During a gale it did fly away once when I didn't secure it properly, but with it's silvered surface it was easy enough to spot a couple of fields away! I did buy a size larger than the one recommended for my scope as I have a Telrad fitted and Telegizmos warn the it could tear the fabric.   I know they are costly, but they are looking after an expensive and delicate piece of kit in all kinds of weather.

Capture.JPG

Thanks. One of the YouTube reviews for TG mentioned the possibility to tear the fabric.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My TG is the type with the silver lining under a stronger outer weatherproof layer. I’ve heard of the silver layer tearing  but I leave a finderscope on and nothing has ever torn. It’s like anything, if you’re careful and look after things they can last for years 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, inapottingshed said:

Thanks and, correct. Backyard conditions are such that I need to keep all sources of noise in the early hours to a minimum to avoid the fly in the ointment of disturbing neighbours. I know that even the Telegizmos covers are really not very noisy but don't want to open the door to remarks. 

You know, here is what I think, based upon my own experience. 

No matter how hard you may try to be quiet and discreet venturing out into the small and unsociable hours, something just might inevitably happen and go CLUNK. There follows a pause and then; the dogs start barking, the cats start wailing, the security lights start flashing, it becomes pandemania. OK maybe not quite like that, but creeping around say in the early hours in the dark, your brain slipping into a trance, slight clumsy stuff happens and any noise is personified. I live in a mid terrace, our immediate neighbours are even quieter than we are, yet they do not camp out in their yards, so unlikely will be disturbed (I hope), as I await for Mars to slip past the chimney stack in the very small hours. Determined effects at being quiet, is of course respectful and necessary, yet I think of equal importance is to only use a dim red light with a downward projected beam when outside, as that to can become a distraction. 

In terms of a telescope cover, I would choose the best one for fit and function and not base it so much on colour and whether the material is smooth or not. Therefore if the best scope cover to suit your setup happens to be a Telegizmos option, I would go for that as they are highly regarded and I really like the fit and function of mine (and they really are quiet enough).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

You know, here is what I think, based upon my own experience. 

No matter how hard you may try to be quiet and discreet venturing out into the small and unsociable hours, something just might inevitably happen and go CLUNK. There follows a pause and then; the dogs start barking, the cats start wailing, the security lights start flashing, it becomes pandemania. OK maybe not quite like that, but creeping around say in the early hours in the dark, your brain slipping into a trance, slight clumsy stuff happens and any noise is personified. I live in a mid terrace, our immediate neighbours are even quieter than we are, yet they do not camp out in their yards, so unlikely will be disturbed (I hope), as I await for Mars to slip past the chimney stack in the very small hours. Determined effects at being quiet, is of course respectful and necessary, yet I think of equal importance is to only use a dim red light with a downward projected beam when outside, as that to can become a distraction. 

In terms of a telescope cover, I would choose the best one for fit and function and not base it so much on colour and whether the material is smooth or not. Therefore if the best scope cover to suit your setup happens to be a Telegizmos option, I would go for that as they are highly regarded and I really like the fit and function of mine (and they really are quiet enough).

I explain to my neighbours about what I am doing in the garden in the wee small hours, pointing out that I am in effect an unpaid neighbourhood watch scheme. They can see the advantage and as a result are pleased that I am there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My neighbors are also aware and although I do my best to be quiet as possible, I still make unavoidable noise including my GoTo mount slewing. Some noise is inevitable no matter what you do. Neighbors tend to close their windows in the winter so I would be surprised if they ever heard anything 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.