SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Magnification, will there be much difference!?

Rustang

I currently don't really do much viewing but I would like to get into doing more. While my astrophotography set up gets on doing whats its doing during the night I don't like to be to far away from it to keep an eye on things so in between snoozing on a deck chair next to it, it would be good use some time to have a hunt around by eye. I currently use a SW 130P 650fl for visual and with my highest mag eye piece which is a 6mm I can get x216 by using a x2 Barlow. I have been toying with the idea of getting a scope that brings the planets in a little closer (don't we all! ) and also to get up closer to the moon. A couple of scopes I have in mind for this are the Nexstar or Skymax 127 (so simular aperture). Ive used a telescope field of view calculator to get an idea of what I would see and with a 1500mm FL and just the 6mm I would get x250 mag (reaching its highest possible mag) which on the field of view calculator there's not much difference between that and the x2 barlow view with my current scope, that may answer my own question but before I waste any money, is there any point in getting something like a Skymax/Nexstar, would there really be a noticeable difference? so should i go for an even longer fl scope? Obviously I wouldn't need to use the barlow so does that make a difference to the clarity of the view just using an eyepiece and no barlow!?

Edited by Rustang

Assuming you are viewing from the UK, then the biggest difference is likely to be a poorer image, 216x is probably the best highest power for the aperture.  Using a half decent Barlow shouldn't compromise the image quality noticeably, If you want to try a higher power either get an even shorter focal length eyepiece or a 3x Barlow.  It will be a cheaper way to find that the difference would not be worthwhile.   🙂

40 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Assuming you are viewing from the UK, then the biggest difference is likely to be a poorer image, 216x is probably the best highest power for the aperture.  Using a half decent Barlow shouldn't compromise the image quality noticeably, If you want to try a higher power either get an even shorter focal length eyepiece or a 3x Barlow.  It will be a cheaper way to find that the difference would not be worthwhile.   🙂

That's really helpful, thank you. I will look at eyepiece/Barlow options for now then.

To get more clear magnification on a like for like basis. Then you really need to go for more aperture. More aperture on a like for like basis allows more light gathering ability and in turn you have the ability (with the correct eyepiece and seeing conditions) to use more magnification.

If you currency use a 130mm reflector scope, then to see a reasonable step up at sensible money then I would consider a 200mm reflector.

I hope this helps 

4 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

To get more clear magnification on a like for like basis. Then you really need to go for more aperture. More aperture on a like for like basis allows more light gathering ability and in turn you have the ability (with the correct eyepiece and seeing conditions) to use more magnification.

If you currency use a 130mm reflector scope, then to see a reasonable step up at sensible money then I would consider a 200mm reflector.

I hope this helps 

Cheers, food for thought 👍