Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Resolving The Gamma Cygni Nebula

scarp15

IC 1318, Gamma Cygni Nebula is a very large and complex diffuse emission nebula, centred around the Sadr region of Cygnus. Sadr is a white supergiant, with an apparent magnitude of 2.23 and is 150 times that of the sun's radius and 33,000 times more luminous. The nebula is though unrelated and is located much further away at 4,900 light years. Made up of three distinct parts; IC 1318 A, B, C, a dark nebula; LDN 889 divides IC 1318 B and C. This dark nebula, which is 20 light years thick, is integral to the surrounding molecular cloud complex, for which is responsible for its profile: - The Butterfly Nebula (NGC 6302).  

Images of this region are impressive and yet the visual observer to can indulge in roaming through and trying to decipher aspects of the patch work of brighter features. This circumstance became a focus of attention for myself on Thursday night.

There are observers on SGL who are more knowledgeable towards navigating through the subtle complexity of IC 1318 and I profess to not having particular expertise on this subject. During my session, I used a 31mm nagler and 41mm Panoptic, Lumicon UHC in my 350mm dob. After a very engaging encounter exploring the North America nebula, my attention turned to the Sadr region, which was also necessary as transparency at this early point in the session was very good (later dew became a particular problem).

The profile of IC 1318 A to the N/W of Sadr is a feature that being quite bright and away from the star, is fairly easy to discern. To focus on the Butterfly Nebula, the dark dust lane LDN 889 that divides the two sections of IC 1318 B and C is easy to position and the notable profile can then be grasped. The glare from Sadr however diminishes the observed image. The patch work of brighter sections of nebula abound extensively in this region and it can become difficult to understand what has been detected. There are other categorised sections such as IC 1318 D, E, F.  I am not as versed in these other areas, yet most certainly did detect other features of this patchy complex. Another feature I think that I may have encountered, when roaming through the northern area around the Sadr region, is the Propeller Nebula also known as Simeis 57. This is something to clarify and identify, but for certain, that with right conditions, circumstances, best applicable optics and degree of scrutiny, a good many of these faint diffuse nebula complexes are within the realm of the visual observer.   

This topic also extends from Gerry's recent exploratory account for within the vicinity of the Crescent Nebula and LBN 208.

Below and taken from the internet is reference to this topic.

post-199816-0-84814100-1566314640.jpg

• Like 10

Definitely need to confirm, unclear more knowledgeable scrutiny and familiarity is needed. As you mention, there is nebulosity all over the place. Fortunate to have had a period of good transparency to roam through and afore as happen later, the equipment became too wet, localised pockets of mist on the way home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Definitely need to confirm, unclear more knowledgeable scrutiny and familiarity is needed. As you mention, there is nebulosity all over the place. Fortunate to have had a period of good transparency to roam through and afore as happen later, the equipment became too wet, localised pockets of mist on the way home.

I tend to "wade through" the thick nebulosity in the IC1318 are and its very easy to get lost (for me) sometimes a quick view through the finder has me saying " are you kidding- I'm way over here!"

• Like 1

Nice one Iain, I've only just observed the NAN clearly this year! Was using too much mag before - rookie mistake. 

There's so much nebulosity up there in that area, I should try and not get tunnel vision with the Veil and spend a bit mroe time soaking in the other nearby sights. Crescent nebula is a fav of mine, but I was unaware of IC 1318 in that area!

• Like 1