Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

H130 and the Veil

jetstream

I'm posting this here so that people starting into astronomy can get an idea of what it takes to see the Veil and others. Most important thing is clear dark skies and tonight I could see the dot of a core in M31 naked eye. SQM is around 21.8 and very clear.It does not take an expensive scope to get top views. Our little Heritage 130 is a most capable scope as youll see in a minute. I used the 25 Super plossl and an Explore Scientific 24mm 68deg which is a fine eyepiece. Also a top notch Televue OIII was Tuck taped to the bottom of the focuser.

This combo revealed the Split in the Broom, a hazy detached patch above it and a small patch which is Pickerings Wisp- easily shown. The 'claw" in the other section of the Veil was highly structured as was the body. The Veil showed very well in this scope.

Up and over to the North American nebula which is reputed to be hard... it is actually a large and bright nebula again easily seen in the H130/OIII with a detached patch above the Gulf showing. The Pelican neb was also bright as were other chunks of nebs around the area.

Now for IC 1318- reputed to be only viewable in an Hb or UHC... I observed the "track" section of this neb with the OIII- moral of the story- try everything you have regardless.

As far as galaxies M31 and friends were a piece of cake and a dust lane popped in and out of view as I rolled my eye around. M33- hard right? under dark skies not so much. The H130 chewed this one up as well. Much more observed tonight thats for sure including a lawnchair Milky Way session :grin:

This particular spec scope likes large objects (short fl and fast f5). So much for the rumor that small scopes and OIII's dont work.

• Like 5