Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

M45 and part of the Molecular Cloud in Taurus


Recommended Posts

This is the best widefield of M45 I've ever seen. Fantastic. I seem to remember a Horsehead Nebula image of yours, Peter, being the best I've seen too? Think you posted it last year, have you got a website or link to a gallery?

Altair have just announced their version of the QHY268 and ZWO 2600, the IMX571 is a superb sensor.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I havent posted for a while its so good to finally get going again..... Ive been wanting to image a wide field of M45 for years.... managed to get tenough over the past 4 weeks now it is rising early

And Image of the day on Astrobin Peter https://www.astrobin.com/a77z7d/ūüėé

Holy moly what a cracking image Peter! I can see the baby eagle in there too, excellent result, these new cmos osc sensors are excellent arnt they 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

What are your thoughts on the 2600 Peter?

Its a great camera....good points are no amp glow low noise high QE. Bad points are small pixels, you are not able to do Narrow Band effectively, poor cooling and be prepared to have to handle lots of subs..... is it worth the money?....absolutely

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smr said:

This is the best widefield of M45 I've ever seen. Fantastic. I seem to remember a Horsehead Nebula image of yours, Peter, being the best I've seen too? Think you posted it last year, have you got a website or link to a gallery?

Altair have just announced their version of the QHY268 and ZWO 2600, the IMX571 is a superb sensor.

Thank you....I have to confess at first I was not totally convinced with CMOS....but now ....they're just amazing.

I do...here is my website http://astropix.co.uk/ or im on astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/asteroidbelter/ 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Its a great camera....good points are no amp glow low noise high QE. Bad points are small pixels, you are not able to do Narrow Band effectively, poor cooling and be prepared to have to handle lots of subs..... is it worth the money?....absolutely

I have one too, managed to get an early one in January. You find the cooling poor? I have no problem getting to -20 in winter and -10 in summer, I find it really only needs -10 as the subs are so clean. How have you been calibrating? I found darks are not needed, so I use my master dark flat as a dark.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Allinthehead said:

I have one too, managed to get an early one in January. You find the cooling poor? I have no problem getting to -20 in winter and -10 in summer, I find it really only needs -10 as the subs are so clean. How have you been calibrating? I found darks are not needed, so I use my master dark flat as a dark.  

When I say poor cooling maybe I am being unfair, Im used to cooling -25 and as you say -10 is about it when it's hot and you quite rightly pointed out the darks are barely needed....so a small point in grand scheme of things

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that is an outstanding image! I would never have believed that was taken in the UK given how poor our skies tend to be. M45 is something I want to image this winter as I have never managed to do it justice before, you have set the bar incredibly high!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, peter shah said:

When I say poor cooling maybe I am being unfair, Im used to cooling -25 and as you say -10 is about it when it's hot and you quite rightly pointed out the darks are barely needed....so a small point in grand scheme of things

When you're used to -25 then -10 is a poor result I suppose. I wouldn't discount narrowband with it either. I shot the veil with mine and a duo band filter and it turned out okay. 2 panel mosaic at 4hrs per panel.

2981848_VeilMosaicFinal.thumb.jpg.055091133698e9aff3a09d23de946417.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

When you're used to -25 then -10 is a poor result I suppose. I wouldn't discount narrowband with it either. I shot the veil with mine and a duo band filter and it turned out okay. 2 panel mosaic at 4hrs per panel.

2981848_VeilMosaicFinal.thumb.jpg.055091133698e9aff3a09d23de946417.jpg

Lovely Richard. How do you incorporate the filter into the imaging train?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ParallaxPete said:

Wow, that is an outstanding image! I would never have believed that was taken in the UK given how poor our skies tend to be. M45 is something I want to image this winter as I have never managed to do it justice before, you have set the bar incredibly high!

Thank you ... It was not taken in the UK was under Spanish skies......although to be honest my skies are just as good in Mid Wales bordering on bortle 3 and M45 would be achievable like this from here....

Edited by peter shah
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

When you're used to -25 then -10 is a poor result I suppose. I wouldn't discount narrowband with it either. I shot the veil with mine and a duo band filter and it turned out okay. 2 panel mosaic at 4hrs per panel.

2981848_VeilMosaicFinal.thumb.jpg.055091133698e9aff3a09d23de946417.jpg

a great result, superb....I did wonder how good the dual and triband filters were....it really does work well on the Veil

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks, yes the the Veil really suits a duo filter. 

Because this rig runs remotely in Spain it would be difficult to swap filters, plus I am not sure there would be the room for a filter wheel with the astromechanic focuser... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2020 at 20:28, peter shah said:

I havent posted for a while its so good to finally get going again..... Ive been wanting to image a wide field of M45 for years.... managed to get tenough over the past 4 weeks now it is rising early in the morning.......total 12hrs  comprised of 300s, 180s and 60s exposures. Imaged with a  105mm 1.4 Sigman lens @ f2 with an ASI2600 OSC. Cmos

Processed in Pixinsight, Photoshop,and lightroom

Thanks for looking

Peter

M45_IFN.jpg

looks Awesome Peter so busy need to mosaic is much bigger to the belt !!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to this party but it's a great party!! Stunning image. I do love a wide M45 because it all makes so much more sense when you see the lot.

And, as others have said, it's a treat to see you back, Peter.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peter shah said:

Thank you....I have to confess at first I was not totally convinced with CMOS....but now ....they're just amazing.

I do...here is my website http://astropix.co.uk/ or im on astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/asteroidbelter/ 

Great! I just had a quick browse of your website, will have a better look tomorrow. I envy your skies. I know how amazing the skies in Wales can be as I had a holiday a few years ago where I booked a lodge with a hot tub in a Bortle 3 location and I was utterly spellbound by the skies and how many stars I could see. It was sheer amazement for me as I'm so used to Bortle 6/5 skies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Late to this party but it's a great party!! Stunning image. I do love a wide M45 because it all makes so much more sense when you see the lot.

And, as others have said, it's a treat to see you back, Peter.

Olly

Thank you Olly....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.