Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Spongey

Esprit 100 first light - IC1396 with unmodified DSLR

Since receiving my scope and mount from FLO a couple of weeks ago, I've had a few opportunities to get out under the stars with everything and gain some experience with all the features of a GoTo mount for the first time. I have to say that in particular, finding and framing a target using platesolving is a huge time save compared to using a star tracker! I'm still trying to get the best results possible from my guiding, if anyone is interested I have another thread covering that in the mounts discussion section.

This image represents my efforts from two initial nights of imaging, the first cut short by dew (my next upgrade will be dew tapes and a controller). My focus held relatively steady on both nights, slowly worsening (as expected) as the temperature dropped, so an autofocus solution is in the pipeline too! I was relatively ruthless with the data regarding which subs to keep, so the final stack represents just under 8 hours of data out of a total 12 captured. I performed a large dither after every frame to combat the DSLR noise profile, which appears to have worked well. I have to say I expected the Hα signal to come through a little stronger, but I'm not prepared to modify my camera just yet so I will have to live with it / shoot broadband targets instead.

As always, any CC would be appreciated!

Imaging scope: Esprit 100 with FF

Imaging camera: Canon 6D (unmodified)

Guide scope: 9x50 finder

Guide camera: ZWO ASI224MC

Mount: iOptron CEM40 (non-EC)

Image details: 7 hours 42 minutes in 120s subs

Processing: PixInsight and Adobe Lightroom

IC1396-web.thumb.jpg.c534514db222a77a2156a3c9bc2ca6b8.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Spongey
  • Like 20

That's good for an unmodded camera.    The 'dark' clouds have come out well.

• Thanks 1

Love the colours in this picture.  I've started using my unmodified 6D Mk1 for imaging (using camera lenses though) this summer and been surprised by its sensitivity,  especially to Ha.

• Thanks 1

I think that's a beautiful rendition, revealing less of the gas but more of the dust than we usually see. It absolutely must be seen at the higher res (click on the image and click again) because it holds up superbly and the details within the Trunk are gorgeous.  Crazy-deep Ha has its place but it isn't the only way to go and this is one of the most subtle versions I've seen of this target. If you do want to emphasize the Ha a little more and have Ps (I don't know about Lightroom) the simple trick is to go into Selective Colour, Reds, and move the top slider left to lower the cyans in red. This always brings out Ha signal.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this is beautiful....you have managed to pull out some really subtle tones 

• Thanks 1