SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Veil Nebula: Not Seeing It

On 25/09/2020 at 10:26, John said:

I guess coating and polish quality have improved over recent years as well, hence lower scatter  / diffraction in the latest versions ?

I also think who's doing the manufacturing plays a role- I wonder who Lumicons manufacturer was and is?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanah said:

Guess this will be my first addition to the SGL. I'm a newbie and really enjoyed reading about the veil. Guess I will start-off my wishlist with this object. Although I'm not a regular observer here in the most light polluted region of the Neterlands (which scores high on a worldwide scale), I will be looking for it on my next trip to the mountains.

Cheers,

Han

Welcome!

What scope are you taking to the mountains?

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

Welcome!

What scope are you taking to the mountains?

A 90's Celestron C5. Its my first and only scope, selected mainly for the low packing volume (it fits in a 'systainer' case).

But reading this topic again I have a question about this. What kind of eyepiece would be considered a 'proper match' for this scope (for observing dso's). And why?

• Like 1

Perfect!

Well a good general place to be for some galaxies would be a 25mm eyepiece and for a view of the Veil etc a 40mmish eyepiece with a good OIII will work well. We have good luck with the 24mm ES 68 but a plossl will work well too. For the 1.25" 40mm ish I'm not sure.

Which eyepieces do you have now?

A 32mm Celestron Plossl 'Halloween' and a 26mm is on its way. Then another 20 Kelner and a 12.5 Ultima, so a pretty nice range. Have high hopes with the 32 and 26 although with a f/10 scope the exit pupil will still be rather small (3.2 and 2.6).

Cheers,

Han

• Like 1

I've only seen it at one star party I went to. First through a low power 100mm refractor + filter, then parts of it through a 20" Dob. I'd say the dark sky made the difference. Through the 100mm it was really obvious. I'm sure the filter contributed but have no idea what it was.

To see the Veil Nebula you really need to use an eyepiece that gives a true field of view of around 1.3 to 1.5 degrees as a mimimum. That is just about wide enough to view most of one of the brighter sections of the nebula, ie: the east or west segment.

With a C5 SCT that means using 32mm plossl with a 52 degree apparent field of view which gives you a 1.33 true field. Unless you move to using 2 inch eyepieces. A 24mm 68 degree apparent field eyepiece shows a similar true field to the aforementioned 32mm plossl.

A good UHC or O-III filter will also be pretty much essential to see anything of this target with a 5 inch scope.

• Like 2

On 08/10/2020 at 00:16, Hanah said:

Have high hopes with the 32 and 26 although with a f/10 scope the exit pupil will still be rather small (3.2 and 2.6).

These will be good for some galaxies- this is a typical range I use on many of them.  I still think that for the Veil ( and other nebs) the 40mm EP will be the ticket along with a quality OIII.

I'm not sure if the C5 works with 2" eyepieces.