Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

John

New Helios 2x40 Starfield Binoculars

3 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

Field of view is fairly "flexible" with Galilean optics - it depends how close you get your eye to the exit pupil - which, just to complicate matters, is virtual and between the objective and eyepiece.

That’s what i’d read but oddly with these it didn’t make much difference if i put eyeball to glass (almost!) or at a more comfortable distance. I suspect they’ve messed up with the rim around the obj making it too deep so it causes the peripheral ring i’m seeing and restricts the fov. I’m sending them back anyway.

• Like 1

These just arrived- wanted to see how they compare. The 3x is huge and has a narrow afov but maybe useful as a monocular for recognising constellations and  finding stuff in my lp sky.

The 2x is much more like it- much wider afov so i’ll look for another and make a binocular as many others have- maybe a wearable for starbathing ;)

Mark

EE88D6EC-96DE-4FF0-A46B-6E59B8402C7B.jpeg

• Like 3