Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem fitting replacement focuser to ED80

I’m after a little advice from anyone who has replaced the stock focuser the Skywatcher ED80.  I’ve just bought a replacement focuser from FLO (the Dual-Speed 2" Crayford Focuser for Sky-Watcher Refractors). 

I have attempted to fit it to the scope but I’m unable to lineup the holes for the three screws, not laterally but depth wise. The focuser sits about 1-2mm proud of the telescope tube when fully in. As a result only half of each hole is visible and I am therefore unable to put the screws in place. 

Inside the telescope tube there is a very small ridge which may be preventing the focuser from going in any further. 

Does anyone please know of a solution to this?

i attach a couple of photos for reference. 

E70E403D-8811-4736-90D3-230B493E7A34.jpeg

D9B81684-2EF0-462E-ABE0-571A84842AFA.jpeg

Unless it''s been updated since I had one, I don't think there's a flange adaptor needed for these, it's worth checking if there was anything else in the box?

However, I'm pretty sure it's designed to be a straight swap, maybe needs a little coaxing ?

I fitted one of those to an ED120 a few years ago. It was a very tight fit into the flange that is the same diameter as the ED80 tube. It needed a lot of coaxing but eventually it did fit and match the screw holes.

Inclined to agree with some of the comments above, looks to me that you have burrs around the holes and ridge that you describe which will catch on the new focuser preventing flush fitting.

I would carefully remove those burrs and sharp edges using some fine grade wet & dry & maybe a needle file if you have one. 

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this so far. I have spent a few hours sanding down. It’s the ridge that’s causing problems. It was about 0.25mm and has now largely gone. I’m not there yet though, still sanding! 

I will need to replace some of that black paint afterwards...

6883CAE1-A2D4-49C4-A79E-35E4AA2D6990.jpeg

5 hours ago, Pilots View said:

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this so far. I have spent a few hours sanding down. It’s the ridge that’s causing problems. It was about 0.25mm and has now largely gone. I’m not there yet though, still sanding! 

I will need to replace some of that black paint afterwards...

6883CAE1-A2D4-49C4-A79E-35E4AA2D6990.jpeg

Kind of sad that this has to be done to two same branded items.   If i were you i would send some pics to Skywatcher.   The paint and resell value is totally ruined