Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC6888 - The Crescent Nebula in HOO

Backyard Space Dude

Wow, this is stunning. Really needs to be seen on a monitor to fully appreciate just how good it is.

I would have guessed this was taken with a much bigger scope than an 80ED. Now I want to have a go at this myself.

Bravo!

10 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

For NR, I personally use the normal reduce noise filter in Ps set to 7 or 8 strength, with preserve detail at about 85-90%. Then on the final step, its noise ninja at a very low setting (Strength/Smoothness set to 3 or 4) - and sometimes selectively apply it (using a layer mask). That avoids processing artifacts or the "vaseline" look.

If you want to reduce stars, you can do it in two steps. Firstly by using a layer mask about 3 curves into the stretching - ie: do three curves, then set that image aside as a copy, stretch the original more until the stars are getting too big for comfort (usually another 2-3 curves later), then paste in the one you set aside using a layer mask (so you are compositing the stars only, not the nebulosity). Then, as you are approaching the end of processing, use noels "make stars smaller" action... but only twice at most, otherwise you might get dark halos. Bit hard to explain in plain text...lol, it needs a practical demo.  But either way you need to keep a close eye on the details to avoid those dark halos.

Thank you for the walk through! I’ll give that a go on my next target. I do use Noels actions, but when the halos appear I use Annie’s reduce halos action and that usually does a great job. 

9 hours ago, tomato said:

Superb, I have to say that IMHO this is on a par with the 80 hrs of IKI Observatory data on the this object that folks have recently been poring over on this forum. 

You have restored my faith in UK skies. 👍

bloomin ‘eck that’s high praise indeed. Thank you so much!