SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Blue Flash Nebula, Dumbbell Nebula and M71

procky1845

Great M27, could instantly relate to that view. M71 is one of my favourites weirdly, Took a long time to track it down in my old 70mm refractor - but its really handily placed so I knew exactly where it was. Its dead easy in my 6" now though - almost takes some of the fun out of it! M97 is my new fabled unicorn!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MimasDeathStar said:

Great M27, could instantly relate to that view. M71 is one of my favourites weirdly, Took a long time to track it down in my old 70mm refractor - but its really handily placed so I knew exactly where it was. Its dead easy in my 6" now though - almost takes some of the fun out of it! M97 is my new fabled unicorn!

Thank you.

Yes, I often find M97 to be suprisingly difficult also. Much more so than I would expect it to be.

Lee

Good sketches Lee.

Found M71 by accident a couple of nights ago in 150mm. Not The 1st time ever, but  certainlynot seen for a while as i had to consult 'Nortons' to determine what i had seen..

A somewhat underated globular? To me it looks more like an open cluster than a globular  @ the eyepiece? ~loose.

Worth a look anway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SiriusB said:

Good sketches Lee.

Found M71 by accident a couple of nights ago in 150mm. Not The 1st time ever, but  certainlynot seen for a while as i had to consult 'Nortons' to determine what i had seen..

A somewhat underated globular? To me it looks more like an open cluster than a globular  @ the eyepiece? ~loose.

Worth a look anway.

Yes I agree, it does look a bit more like an Open Cluster. Maybe looks like an open cluster with a bit of nebulosity thrown in for good measure as there is that faint background glow. It looks very un-globular to me either way, I quite like it for that fact.

Looking back at my observing notes I have definitely observed it in the past, but it really stood out to me more than I remember it doing previously as quite odd looking when I observed it and made the sketch.

I was reading up about M71 in Stephen O'Meara's "Deep Sky Companions: The Messier Objects" (as an aside, one of my favourite series of books!) and apparently for some time it was debated as to whether it was in fact a globular or an open cluster so we are not the first (by a long shot) to have this conversation. :) 

Lee

• Like 1