Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UHC-E or Nebustar II for binoculars?

Ships and Stars

Hello all,

I've been mixing Astronomik OIII and UHC filters on my 15x70 Apollos and 20/40x100 observation binoculars - the UHC under dark skies is excellent, but the OIII is, not surprisingly, too restrictive for the modest apertures between 70 and 100mm.

Therefore I'm looking to order another 1.25" UHC-type filter for the other side, so I'm viewing in stereo through UHC, and not a UHC/OIII mix. They don't have to be identical UHC-type filters, as the brain merges the two images in my experience.

Based on the rave reviews, I'm really drawn towards the Televue Nebustar II so I can use it with my dobs as well, but the Astronomik UHC-E sounds ideal for binoculars as it is a bit 'looser'. Astronomik states it is particularly geared towards smaller scopes under 5".  

Any thoughts? Has anyone used the UHC-E with binoculars vs a 'normal' UHC? For the record, I'm quite happy with the transmission on the Astronomik UHC, which is probably close to the Nebustar II.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

Comments of course very welcome but an update for anyone browsing this thread - I'm away soon so ordered the Nebustar before the daily shipping cut-off - I gather the UHC-E might be too wide to be of much use, but if I find the Nebustar too restrictive with binoculars, I'll let people know. 

I'll definitely keep the Nebustar at any rate for my dob, but may also pick up a UHC-E for general binocular viewing under dark skies.

I think the Nebustar will work nicely however, given the Astronomik UHC is considered somewhat narrow (according to some - if this is incorrect please feel free to comment) for a UHC but still works well in my 15x70s.

So this thread may turn into a UHC filter review for binoculars!

New moon in a few days and weather looking very clear here, fingers crossed 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jetstream said:

My thoughts too, the new Televue Nebustar II is superb as is their OIII- you need one of these too lol!

I was thinking I'd just hop on a flight to LA, visit Don and bring back a duffel bag of filters ;) In my dreams.  They are on sale! Much cheaper than here actually. Was tempted to order some and just take the customs/import hit, would still work out well. 

I do hear the UHC-E is kind of a middle-ground, so that still might be of interest for binoculars. I'm glad I bought the Nebustar though, that will see action in the dobs as well. 

Following this. Am planning on a set of 15x70’s and have read of a few using a singular UHC and blinking? I need a 2” version for my dob (definitely getting the TV one) and so another in 1.25” is going to break the bank.

I do have relatives over in the states though, hadn’t looked at prices there..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Following this. Am planning on a set of 15x70’s and have read of a few using a singular UHC and blinking? I need a 2” version for my dob (definitely getting the TV one) and so another in 1.25” is going to break the bank.

I do have relatives over in the states though, hadn’t looked at prices there..

Yes I've read about the blinking technique, think that's useful for isolating very small planetary nebula etc. Not tried it myself, but makes sense.

I hear you on the filters. I only have one 2" filter, an Astronomik OIII, they are painfully expensive for a 50mm circle of glass. The 1.25" aren't exactly cheap either!

It's one of those things - filters seem to be such a dark art (no pun intended). Do I go for a cheaper one that might have quality control issues or different transmission wavelengths than advertised, or go with the expensive ones that are a safer bet?

If you go to the states, there are some good deals to be had on filters from what I've seen recently. 

Do the 15x70s you are looking at have filter threads? Some do, some don't. From my experience, filter threads are a must-have personally speaking. The North America Nebula (NAN) with UHC on the 15x70s the other night was stunning. I spent more time on that than the Veil.

Speaking of which, although OIII is the way to go through a larger scope, the opposite seems true with binoculars. I could clearly make out the East Veil with UHC, but it was extremely faint with OIII on the 15x70s. I did side by side comparisons. 

I'll see how well the 1.25" Nebustar does with bins and my scopes, then will consider buying the 2" at some point...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Yes I've read about the blinking technique, think that's useful for isolating very small planetary nebula etc. Not tried it myself, but makes sense.

I hear you on the filters. I only have one 2" filter, an Astronomik OIII, they are painfully expensive for a 50mm circle of glass. The 1.25" aren't exactly cheap either!

It's one of those things - filters seem to be such a dark art (no pun intended). Do I go for a cheaper one that might have quality control issues or different transmission wavelengths than advertised, or go with the expensive ones that are a safer bet?

If you go to the states, there are some good deals to be had on filters from what I've seen recently. 

Do the 15x70s you are looking at have filter threads? Some do, some don't. From my experience, filter threads are a must-have personally speaking. The North America Nebula (NAN) with UHC on the 15x70s the other night was stunning. I spent more time on that than the Veil.

Speaking of which, although OIII is the way to go through a larger scope, the opposite seems true with binoculars. I could clearly make out the East Veil with UHC, but it was extremely faint with OIII on the 15x70s. I did side by side comparisons. 

I'll see how well the 1.25" Nebustar does with bins and my scopes, then will consider buying the 2" at some point...

I have been looking at these: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/helios-stellar-ii-70mm-wp-binoculars.html Looks like you have the bigger brother 😀 I still can't work out whether there's filter threads, but I'd presume so? I have a pair of 10x42's which I use quite a bit and so I'd like something with a little more mag, especially like to see the two nebs you mention above. The only filter I own at the moment is an Astonomik 2" O-III, but if it's for use for the binoculars I'd probably gamble with a cheap ES UHC. I'm still going to invest in the 2" Nebustar for the dob. Just not sure which is going to be my next purchase. The binoculars would give me something when I can't get the dob out, especially for those last minute quick sessions.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

The binoculars would give me something when I can't get the dob out, especially for those last minute quick sessions.

There's probably very little difference between the Stellar IIs and the Apollos. It looks like they have filter threads but email or ring FLO to check perhaps?

Completely agree, binoculars have saved me a lot of frustration when an unexpected clear night or even a short break in the clouds comes along and I don't have time to set up the scope. I use them very frequently, they are my grab and go set-up.

The Astronomic UHC-E looks interesting for binoculars, around £60, or just grab an ES or Baader. You can mix filters, a good way to test them out against one another on binoculars of course as they're side by side and you'll have the same dark adaptation.

Too many choices can be difficult sometimes!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

There's probably very little difference between the Stellar IIs and the Apollos. It looks like they have filter threads but email or ring FLO to check perhaps?

Completely agree, binoculars have saved me a lot of frustration when an unexpected clear night or even a short break in the clouds comes along and I don't have time to set up the scope. I use them very frequently, they are my grab and go set-up.

The Astronomic UHC-E looks interesting for binoculars, around £60, or just grab an ES or Baader. You can mix filters, a good way to test them out against one another on binoculars of course as they're side by side and you'll have the same dark adaptation.

Too many choices can be difficult sometimes!

Do you tend to use tripod mounted most of the time? I have tripods and a monopod with ball heads to get me going but id probably add a trigger grip at some point.

1 hour ago, Stardaze said:

Do you tend to use tripod mounted most of the time? I have tripods and a monopod with ball heads to get me going but id probably add a trigger grip at some point.

I actually use them hand-held most of the time, but it's a workout! A tripod, any tripod, will help immensely ;) The trigger grip looks interesting and is popular.

Sorry if I got your hopes up on the filter threads! I'd ring FLO, the photo looks like there are threads, but it might just be the eyecup design. They don't mention it in the specs, but do for the Apollos. Sorry about that if I'm wrong!

• Like 1

On 16/09/2020 at 19:26, Stardaze said:

FLO confirmed that the Stellar II’s don’t have filter threads 😂 Might have to save a bit for the Apollo’s unless maybe @BinocularSky could recommend a pair of 15x70’s for around £200 with filter threads? 

AFAIK it's only the Apollos that have filter threads. The downside is that usable eye relief for spectacle wearers in, at best, minimal. I no longer have the Apollos; I replaced them with Lunt Magnesium. I sometimes use a UHC by "pinching" the rubber eyecup to keep it in place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have the 15x70 Apollo binos and use them quite often with filters attached. I use the TeleVue Nebustar II on the one side and a Lumicon UHC on the other - excellent combination. I sometimes replace the Lumicon with an Astronomik O-III and don't find it too bad.

My Nebustar II arrived today, can't wait to try it out! Never been so excited about a tiny piece of glass ;)

IMG_20200918_152845544_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...