SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Expensive mounts - The good, the bad and the ugly?

lrt75914

Just now, Skipper Billy said:

+1 for the Mesu - most boring mount I have ever owned - switch it on - use it - switch it off. No excitement at all. Nothing to fiddle with or adjust. 

That doesn't sound very good value for money to me.  What are you supposed to do on the 364 cloudy nights each year?

James

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Would you mind sharing the teething issues and problems you have read relating to the mark ii Mesu?

Apologies I refer to the Mark 1 Mesu mount., of which there are several documented posts on this forum relating to teething problems. My point was even £5k + mounts (including the Mesu) ‘can’ sometimes suffer from minor glitches.

49 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

Apologies I refer to the Mark 1 Mesu mount., of which there are several documented posts on this forum relating to teething problems. My point was even £5k + mounts (including the Mesu) ‘can’ sometimes suffer from minor glitches.

I figured that may be the case but I’m not sure how valid that point is now that there is a replacement model.  If the replacement model was also defective then that would be different.  I just felt your post didn’t accurately reflect the current status of the Mesu mount 

There are certainly a lot of users on SGL who have great experiences with the Mesu mount(the first and the current iteration) but not everyone has reported positively. I did a lot of research over about 6 months a year ago when I was looking for a premium mount which included talking to several Mesu users including one with the latest version (as well as people using 10 Micron, AP and Paramount offerings). It was soon after the latest version was released. There will always be those who are unlucky in their purchase (of any mount) and they are often less inclined to post about it. Point being; talk directly to users. 

Edited by MakeItSo