Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Nik271

Mare Orientale!

I was very late for observing this morning: 6:30am. The sky was getting very bright so I rushed out knowing that at best I can only get a brief look at the Moon. The scope was left on the mount  from the Jupiter session last evening  so in goes the 20mm EP giving me 140x and the thin crescent Moon was there in all its glory. Sadly with the bright sky there was little contrast. First I tried to find Mon Rumker but could not identify it. At least I could easily see Grimaldi. Then I looked southwest beyond Grimaldi towards the edge and  saw a flattish part of the Moon horizon and what looked like a ring of mountains. I had heard that Mare Orientale is in that general direction and sometimes partly visible in favourable libration. I didn't see the basin itself, just a ring of mountains but I'm really happy! 

Later this morning, after some online research I found this site listing dates when librations are favourable for Mare Orientale:

http://www.packerlighting.com/Lunar_Articles/Moon Article 5of6.html

And indeed 14 September 2020 is listed as a suitable date centered on 13:38 UT. So if you live on the west coast of the Americas go and take a look! And maybe tomorrow morning from here it will be possible to see as well.

Clear skies!

Nikolay

• Like 1