Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An evening with Mars: Sept 13/14

JeremyS

I set up the Takahashi TSA 120 on the EQ6 and Berlebach Planet tripod on the lawn before dusk and spent about 3 hours on the main telescope in the dome doing CCD photometry of variable stars. This allowed Mars time to rise sufficiently high.

When I looked at Mars a few minutes to  midnight, to say I was gobsmacked would be an understatement. The seeing was excellent and for longish periods, the disc looked like an etching. The south part of the disc was dark and moody, with plenty of detail at the interface with the northern ochre coloured part of the disc. The contrast between the two, in both tone and colour, was beautiful to behold. Quite intricate detail around Solis Lacus and Tithonius Lacus. The polar cap was small and perfectly formed.

I started of with the Pentax XL 5.2 (x173), but it was evident that more mag was needed and could be taken. Next up was the Vixen HR 3.4 (x265). Excellent views and image held steady. Moving up to the Vixen HR 2.4 (x375) was a step too far: nice big image, but no more resolution than with the HR 3.4.

Next up was the TeleVue NZ 3 to 6. As usual, was great fun being able to rack up the mage from 150x to 300x. The best views were around the 4mm setting (x 225). 

Finally the Fujiyama Orthos. Again super views with the 5 and 4 mm eyepieces (x180, x225). Of course eye relief is a bit tight, but still manageable.

Best views overall? Vixen HR 3.4. Best choice apart from that? TeleVue NZ. 

On some occasions, the detail was approaching that in some recent images I’ve seen. And almost as good as what is shown in @mikeDnight's  carefully executed drawings. I must say, being comfortably seated on the Berlebach chair helps a lot to tease other detail (especially with the Orthos where it can be challenging to hold one’s head a the right distance and location for long periods)

More Mars, please!!

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 11

16 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

On some occasions, the detail was approaching that in some recent images I’ve seen. And almost as good as what is shown in @mikeDnight's  carefully executed drawings.

Amazing last night wasn’t it Jeremy!I had the same feeling- getting toward some of the images I’ve seen! And so true about sitting comfortably- I’m lugging a directors chair around with me just for Mars- need to sort out something lighter/more compact but it makes such a difference to comfort and staying power!

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markse68 said:

Amazing last night wasn’t it Jeremy!I had the same feeling- getting toward some of the images I’ve seen! And so true about sitting comfortably- I’m lugging a directors chair around with me just for Mars- need to sort out something lighter/more compact but it makes such a difference to comfort and staying power!

Mark

It's night like this that make it all worthwhile, Mark 🙂

The transparency was slightly off, but it think that was associated with the very steady air. Sometimes, the atmosphere seems to part for moments!

Trouble it, it raises expectations and gives one a thirst for more. Especially as opposition approaches and the already large disc grows even more.

I've left the mount outside under a cover in case we are lucky tonight:

IMG_3039.jpg.8ce6eb483d724b96b8a10e1ef2bd510c.jpg

• Like 1

For me the atmosphere was very unsteady last night and it was quite breezy, so I didn't bother trying to photograph, but could still see quite a bit of detail and the SPC, my Esprit 150 was giving better views than my 14in Newtonian, best views were around 220x.

Hoping for better results tonight

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 1

Great report Jeremy, A few experienced observers have now mentioned how good Mars looked last night! I am hoping for the same tonight as I would like to take a look.

On the few occasions I have viewed Mars i have been looking at it around x167, I haven't been fortunate enough to have the conditions to view it at x230 yet.

As you say some stunning details in this planet, The contrasting, Reds, Greys, White caps are a joy to view!

Baz

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Great report Jeremy, A few experienced observers have now mentioned how good Mars looked last night! I am hoping for the same tonight as I would like to take a look.

On the few occasions I have viewed Mars i have been looking at it around x167, I haven't been fortunate enough to have the conditions to view it at x230 yet.

As you say some stunning details in this planet, The contrasting, Reds, Greys, White caps are a joy to view!

Baz

Good luck for tonight Baz.

I'm still pinching myself that the views were so good 🙂

• Like 1

Great report Jeremy !

I was using my 12 inch dob on Mars last night and the views and detail were really good. I did have a good look for Phobos and Deimos but the former was very, very near the martian limb and the latter drowned out by the martian glare so no luck there.

I did have some nice views of Triton and Neptune earlier though.

• Like 2

Don't know how I've missed this Jeremy,  but what an encouraging report. It's always nice to hear of someone having a great view of Mars as it proves it is actually possible. Of course the fact you're slightly nearer to the equator than me would generally be considered cheating, but I'll not hold it against you. I hope you have many more excellent nights with Mars this apparition. 

• Like 1