Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

F15Rules

Tak MEF3 microfocuser fitting

Recommended Posts

Hi all 🙂,

I need to get around to fitting the above to my FS128 soon.

However, the instructions are all in Japanese and I'm not great at following just diagrammatic ones (I can follow a video ok), and can't use Google translate (I don't think) from a photograph of text?

If anyone can help I'd much appreciate it ☺️!

Many thanks,

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi all 🙂,

I need to get around to fitting the above to my FS128 soon.

However, the instructions are all in Japanese and I'm not great at following just diagrammatic ones (I can follow a video ok), and can't use Google translate (I don't think) from a photograph of text?

If anyone can help I'd much appreciate it ☺️!

Many thanks,

Dave

Get a handle on this CN thread, Dave. The last 2 posts are the datasheet in English. It might refer to an earlier model MEF, but so far as I can see having fitted an MEF3 to 3 Tak scopes, it's the same.

You will really like it when observing Mars. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lend me your FS 128 Dave and I will do it.  Might take  a while to return it though........:grin:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MEF3 box includes the micropinion, a metal thingie to connect the micropinion to the central part of the focuser lets call it, some screws and a unique two pronged thingie. Here we go:

1. Use a standard screw driver and remove one of the focuser knobs.

2. Fit the micropinion assembly to the focuser shaft and tighten the screws (via a small hex key) to lock the focuser shaft to the micropinion assembly.

3. Use the two pronged thingie and remove the small circular button screw thingie on top of the focuser shaft.

4. Take the metal thingie to connect the micropinion to the central part of the focuser, and screw it both to the micropinion (has two tiny screws if I recall) and to the base just underneath the small circular button screw thingie.

5. Screw back the small circular button screw thingie and you are done! 

 

Alternatively, just see attached :) I can confirm that this works with any MEF focuser (fit two of these myself in the past). These images are actually the ones Jeremy linked to - just noticed it...

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Edited by nicoscy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be mindful to tighten the two grub screws on the focus knob equally Dave, otherwise it might feel gritty.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a bunch of stars!! Jeremy, Nicosy and Mike - thanks very much indeed, I'll post a pic when it's done😊👍

Dave

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

What a bunch of stars!! Jeremy, Nicosy and Mike - thanks very much indeed, I'll post a pic when it's done😊👍

Dave

Good to see your SGL Astro mates come in handly, Dave 🙂

I wish you luck carrying off this installation:-)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All done! 😊 👍

Took me only 20 minutes yesterday afternoon thanks to the instructions kindly pointed out and sent by Jeremy, Mike and Nicos..

Tried it out last night as it was clear here..sadly the seeing was really poor, Mars was bright but mushy, and the double double in Lyra was very unsteady, but the microfocuser works perfectly, so I'm all ready for when the atmosphere plays nicely!

Thanks again, guys, and here are a couple of pics with the unit in place ☺️.

Dave

Dave

IMG_20200917_235432477.jpg

IMG_20200917_235453914.jpg

IMG_20200917_235525972.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks the same as the vixen focuser conversion, even down to the instructions.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deadlake said:

This looks the same as the vixen focuser conversion, even down to the instructions.... 

You could well be right, and no bad thing if it is.

I've owned 2 Vixen ED103s scopes, one of which had a dual speed focuser fitted.

The colour scheme was reversed, ie large knob on Vixen focuser was black, microfocuser small knob was silver, see photo.

The Vixen wasn't a retrofit, so didn't look the same underneath. The action felt quite similar to the TakIMG_20160717_203049535_HDR.thumb.jpg.4fe7195e0df756d0480420f91384f497.jpg.30ab45725cf5fcffb43fb2647473ae7b.jpg, as I recall.

Dave

IMG_20160717_202849354_HDR.thumb.jpg.d86a6edf2715ce4ea4d6b6a5df12fb6d.jpg

Edited by F15Rules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going off topic, your Vixen Ports mounts slow mo controls. Would you say they are reliable quality? I've got this to look forward to getting out with my skywatcher slow-mo's, attached to a scope tech zero mount...

 

 

IMG_3662.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job Dave. First time I fitted the MEF to an FC-100 it was a bit mushy - still worked well but there was a bit of backlash. Then I transferred the same unit to my Epsilon 130 Newtonian and it’s been spot on ever since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Great job Dave. First time I fitted the MEF to an FC-100 it was a bit mushy - still worked well but there was a bit of backlash. Then I transferred the same unit to my Epsilon 130 Newtonian and it’s been spot on ever since.

Thanks Mark.. I'd read about some "sponginess" on these upgrades, but it seems often to be more about "fettling" the microfocuser and possibly also the main focuser adjustments as well - in very small increments?

I half expected to feel some partial resistance or sponginess when I first turned the small MEF knob..in fact, nothing happened at all, until I realised that I'd got the top locking knob of the main focuser locked down!

Once that was loosened off everything worked smoothly, even with a Revelation binoviewer loaded with a pair on Morpheus 17.5mm's on board.

I'm very happy so far😊👍..

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Going off topic, your Vixen Ports mounts slow mo controls. Would you say they are reliable quality? I've got this to look forward to getting out with my skywatcher slow-mo's, attached to a scope tech zero mount...

 

 

IMG_3662.jpeg

I found the Porta II slo mo's to be very handy. As with all manual slo motions I've ever used, I tighten them right down with pliers (with an old cloth wrapped around the slo motion metal gripper to avoid marking with the pliers), and they don't then loosen off themselves.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I found the Porta II slo mo's to be very handy. As with all manual slo motions I've ever used, I tighten them right down with pliers (with an old cloth wrapped around the slo motion metal gripper to avoid marking with the pliers), and they don't then loosen off themselves.

Dave

Did you think that “very handy” comment would  pass me by unnoticed, Dave?

Dont worry, I grabbed hold of it!

🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.