Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 13th September 2020

mikeDnight

Cracking sketch Mike, I wish I was able to discern that level of detail.

I had a really good session on Mars with the ED120, Binoviewers, BCO 18mm and a 2.6x GPC last night, I think this combination was giving me approx 220x.

Rotating your sketch to match my viewing orientation shows the same wedge shaped pale area on the northwest? area of the disc. The south polar cap was crisp and clear and the dark areas showed hints of detail but not enough for my inexperienced eyes to pull out the level of detail that you have.

My own sketch resembles something my 10 year old niece would produce for school.

Thanks for sharing, your sketches inspire me to keep plodding on.

• Like 3

Another fine sketch Mike but like Ade finding it difficult to eke out your level of detail.

Atmosphere was settled & clear down here at 11pm with crisp views of the SPC and darker areas more or less matching your sketch, was using my Tak FC100DL & 3-6 nagler zoom between 180x - 225x.

Also IMO the Baader neodymium filter is really good for minimising glare and sharpening up detail on Mars!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

Cracking sketch Mike, I wish I was able to discern that level of detail.

I had a really good session on Mars with the ED120, Binoviewers, BCO 18mm and a 2.6x GPC last night, I think this combination was giving me approx 220x.

Rotating your sketch to match my viewing orientation shows the same wedge shaped pale area on the northwest? area of the disc. The south polar cap was crisp and clear and the dark areas showed hints of detail but not enough for my inexperienced eyes to pull out the level of detail that you have.

My own sketch resembles something my 10 year old niece would produce for school.

Thanks for sharing, your sketches inspire me to keep plodding on.

My sketches made at the eyepiece look like little more than scribble Ade, so don't be put off by the cleaned up versions I post. It's amazing how a cotton ear bud can soften pencil lines and bring some realism to a pencil sketch. It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to complete the sketch, or rather until I'd convinced myself I'd seen all that was on show, so it's more a build up of information rather than an instant view. I hope you pluck up the courage to post your own drawings, as no doubt they too would encourage many to have a go at sketching. 

I've attached the last three eyepiece doodles of Mars just to show what a mess things look after sketching in very dim light. They may look rough and meaningless but every stroke, scribble and difference in intensity allows me to reconstruct the sketch as it appeared in the telescope. The pen lines on the final sketch were made after I came back into the house just to emphasise the outline. 

1762669021_2020-09-1411_24_46.jpg.877d9220742a5db9a1e85306d5e827f4.jpg1795049200_2020-09-1411_25_16.jpg.7813268c0f0ee7e40414dbb2c699f247.jpg2064714979_2020-09-1411_25_52.jpg.867491e4e6b1723c0883865e6c8cde28.jpg

See,  I draw like a 10 year old too! ☺

• Like 1

Very nice work yet again Mike. I managed my first session on Mars last night. It has been cloudy all this month here but I noticed a break in the clouds last night. Only lasted for 1/2 an hour but the seeing was good and over time I picked out some nice detail. I have yet to turn my notes and sketch into a final report, but I hope to post something later today.

• Like 1

Hello all. Very similar comments on my session last night. First time I caught up with Mars this year for 20 mins, as it scoots between 2 houses ATM. 
Was a real nice evening. Detail was coming - keep forgetting I have a Neo filter. Must be worth a try given comments on here.  Earlier views of Saturn were great with 2/3 moons being caught as well. Pretty chuffed. 
John 

• Like 1

Thankyou for posting your at the eyepiece sketches. They are a great insight into how you produce your wonderful drawings. I have tried sketching the Orion Nebula on a couple of occasions before, but they didn’t turn out well (and that’s being polite).

Making separate sketches or outlines of different features and details and then combining them later indoors, while still fresh in the mind, sounds obvious to me now, but had never occurred to me before, so I’m inspired to give it another go.

Tim

• Like 1