SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Intervalometer or DSLR issue?

Johns22

Last night I rigged up my Canon 650D with a recently purchased Amazon intervalometer - the camera was in Bulb mode. I initially set the intervalometer to 30 sec delay (to give me time to leave the area) followed by 150 x 1 minute subs with a 3 sec interval between exposures.

An hour later I returned to the camera to notice the timer on the LCD display was up to 60 minutes for the exposure even though the intervalometer thought it was 50 images through it's sequence.

After much cursing and selecting different delay / interval settings, it became clear that the camera does not stop exposing when the intervalometer reaches the exposure length. Instead the camera continues the initial exposure meaning you get one long exposure despite what the intervalometer is programmed to do.

Has anyone else experienced this? This is my first experience of using a intervalometer, and don't particularly want to spend any more purchasing others if the problem lies elsewhere. I know I can use APT or another program to do this but I want a field based solution for future dark sky trips.

Thanks in advance.

Check to see what mirror lock setting you have.

Are you setting the intervalometer to 60 second exposures, or 60 minute exposures?

If the camera in in bulb mode, and mirror lock is disabled, the fault lies with the intervalometer / operator I think.

James

• Like 2

I will check the mirror lock thank you.

It was definately set to 60 secs - I watched it countdown, then the light changed on the intervalometer as it counted down on the interval before starting the next exposure. Meanwhile the camera was still exposing the initial image.

Resolved - the intervalometer requires the interval between exposures to be set at least 1 sec longer than the exposure time...

Is this normal for intervalometers? It means doubling the session time to capture the images.

11 minutes ago, Johns22 said:

Resolved - the intervalometer requires the interval between exposures to be set at least 1 sec longer than the exposure time...

Is this normal for intervalometers? It means doubling the session time to capture the images.

That's not normal, at least on the Nikon ones - you can have a 0s interval with a 60s exposure without issue.

25 minutes ago, Johns22 said:

Have you disabled the in camera "long exposure noise reduction?" if not this will cause it to take a dark of the same length as the main exposure..

Alan 

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Johns22 said:

No that does not sound normal. The only interval between exposures that I need to set is 5 seconds. This is based on my camera/SD card needing a 5 second interval between images to record the data.

Thanks all - long exposure noise reduction is disabled on the camera.

This is what happens when you buy cheap product off Amazon I guess...

Please can anyone recommend a good intervalometer - any links to purchase would also be appreciated.

Edited by Johns22

4 hours ago, Johns22 said:

Thanks all - long exposure noise reduction is disabled on the camera.

This is what happens when you buy cheap product off Amazon I guess...

Please can anyone recommend a good intervalometer - any links to purchase would also be appreciated.

The one I use for my canon 200d is this one. Not sure if I got it from there though

https://www.subtel.co.uk/index.php?cl=details&offerId=5420371701&lang=1&anid=916620&cnid=6e17000500187291d07f3d04dae4fc49&campaign=co.uk-pla/KZ_Fernbedienung/916620&gclid=CjwKCAjwzIH7BRAbEiwAoDxxTjdFPyPxkgkTTr4c-iDM7zjo8VM6y6K3TgDj1iS6xUtvqDWHc59FZhoC4eUQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johns22 said:

Are you sure this is correct? In the instructions for mine (which admittedly doesn't work for other reasons) that's only mentioned when using the noise reduction setting.

If yours is the qumox then I've been able to do 1s intervals between longer exposures, but for some reason mine only works when the two cables are pushed halfway together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I have the same issue as well with this intervalometer and my canon 450d, I have noise reduction off and mirror lock off and the only way I can get it to work is by having the interval time the same as the exposure time but that's no good when I want to do over 30 sec exposures.  This is the intervalometer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1C0WQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clear skies

Edited by LeeHore7

2 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi

I have the same issue as well with this intervalometer and my canon 450d, I have noise reduction off and mirror lock off and the only way I can get it to work is by having the interval time the same as the exposure time but that's no good when I want to do over 30 sec exposures.  This is the intervalometer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1C0WQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clear skies

I use this one and it works with the 400D and 450D (and many others) when set in bulb mode. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GHHBNU0 

They are all very similar. I can easily get 5 minute+ exposures from it but normally limit it to about 3 minutes.

• Thanks 1

On 14/09/2020 at 20:33, Johns22 said:

on my intervalometer and canon eos 90D and the 200D you need to  add the exposure time to the interval time for it to work properly but thankfully on the 90D it is built into the camera

3 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I use this one and it works with the 400D and 450D (and many others) when set in bulb mode. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GHHBNU0 

They are all very similar. I can easily get 5 minute+ exposures from it but normally limit it to about 3 minutes.

Hi

Thank you for your help.

Do you get any problems with having to set the interval time the same as the exposure time to get it to work. So i can set it to say a 1 minute exposure and 3 second interval? Sadly this is unavailable now.

Clear skies

Edited by LeeHore7

3 minutes ago, toxic said:

on my intervalometer and canon eos 90D and the 200D you need to  add the exposure time to the interval time for it to work properly but thankfully on the 90D it is built into the camera

HI

Yes that's the issue, I only want a short interval time and exposure as long as I wish but this intervalometer doesn't do that, so must be one out there that does, but thanks for your help

3 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi

Thank you for your help.

Do you get any problems with having to set the interval time the same as the exposure time to get it to work. So i can set it to say a 1 minute exposure and 3 second interval? Sadly this is unavailable now.

Clear skies

No not really. I think I have 180 seconds with a 10 second delay. Then set it to repeat 100 times

3 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

HI

Yes that's the issue, I only want a short interval time and exposure as long as I wish but this intervalometer doesn't do that, so must be one out there that does, but thanks for your help

yes but if you think about it it isnt actually a longer interval time it is also counting down the exposure time as well

• Like 1

On 15/09/2020 at 11:08, Chefgage said:

I've ordered this intervalometer now and hopefully will solve my problem as I think the issue is with the connector lead that comes with it, as if it was a wired connection with the correct jack plug on the end it'll work, as I had a play with connecting my original intervalometer in various ways of pushing the connections all way in or just on and had some success with it at 10 sec exposures and 3 sec interval but couldn't get it to work all the time. This is probably not made sense at all.

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

I've ordered this intervalometer now and hopefully will solve my problem as I think the issue is with the connector lead that comes with it, as if it was a wired connection with the correct jack plug on the end it'll work, as I had a play with connecting my original intervalometer in various ways of pushing the connections all way in or just on and had some success with it at 10 sec exposures and 3 sec interval but couldn't get it to work all the time. This is probably not made sense at alll haha 

Hopefully this will solve your problem. Never had a problem with mine using long exposures and 5 second intervals.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Canon 600D and have never had a problem with this intervalometer. I found this article whilst researching whether there was any recommended interval between exposures. I didn’t find an answer. I’ve tried 2,5 and 10 second intervals and all work as I would expect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y55MC47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Ianmac1223

• 5 months later...

FYI, I have found that setting the interval of the Neewer intervalometer to at least 4 seconds solves the problem on my device, used with a Canon 450D with mirror lock C. Fn. 09 set to disabled and long exposure reduction  C. Fn. 03 off.

My intervalometer used to work fine and then picking it up recently I had the issue described in the original post. The issue doesn't appear to be dependent on battery life.

With mirror lock enabled only every other exposure is recorded, the preceding exposure triggers the mirror up, at least with my 450D.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/07/2021 at 16:36, ulex_don said:

FYI, I have found that setting the interval of the Neewer intervalometer to at least 4 seconds solves the problem on my device, used with a Canon 450D with mirror lock C. Fn. 09 set to disabled and long exposure reduction  C. Fn. 03 off.

My intervalometer used to work fine and then picking it up recently I had the issue described in the original post. The issue doesn't appear to be dependent on battery life.

With mirror lock enabled only every other exposure is recorded, the preceding exposure triggers the mirror up, at least with my 450D.

Hope that helps!

I created an account just to say thank you! I have had this exact same problem and it has been nagging me for months, limiting me to 30 seconds. I had it on a 3 second delay, and the hop to 4 completely fixes it!. I have no idea why this suddenly works, but thanks for putting the answer up here for others to find. 

• Like 2