SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Balancing DEC with Evostar 72ED

Pryce

Hey guys,  question for ya! 

So I've recently purchased aaalooot of stuff and I've been fiddeling with it for a bit but I'm not entirely ready to start imaging yet. 

So, I havent gotten my EQ6-R yet  vut I slapped the 72ED on my EQ3-2 to do some focus test exposures and the like. 

However, I noticed that it's impossible for me to peoperly balance DEC with the camera attached on the back. Obviously thats going to be even worse when I put a guide scope in the finder shoe. 

So my question is this; do I need another attachment(counterweight?) In the front of the telescope to properly balance DEC or can i get away with that imbalance? 

Edit: RA was a breeze to balance by the way.

20200913_144940.jpg

Edited by Pryce

The first way I got my 72mm to balance was to put a medium dove tail on it which extended out of the rear but you will have to drill some extra holes in the dovetail to do so. I've now put the original dovetail back on made a bracket and a brass powered coated counter weight weighing approx 1.3kg and use it like that, works perfectly. I can also adjust the position of the weight as the bracket has a slot down the middle. I've even had to do the same to balance my 80mm.

IMG_20200905_135157.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

Works like a charm! Cheers boys!

Now I just need to wait for the guidescope and test out with a few different weights!  And shoter bolts for the counterweight bracket of course 😂

20200913_161202.jpg

Edited by Pryce
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hello, Replying to this topic. I have used a counterweight system from a microphone poll. This allows me to have great accuracy on the position of the weight as it is essentially the same system as a skywatcher counterweight.

A long dovetail plate isn't needed with this and really would be hard to fit (clearance wise) and would require holes to be drilled.

To attach this poll I use some steel, I drilled two holes to connect with the green mounting plate and one for the poll that is bolted into place. 

In the future I will be drilling another hole for the poll to offset it a bit to counter the weight of the motor for the goto system and achieve a perfect balance.

image3.thumb.jpeg.3a69ded618d6cbb1b6e15e81c97d7f86.jpeg

https://www.k-m.de/en/kmPdf/datasheet/ordernumber/21105-000-55     (data sheet)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_21105_counterweight.htm  (website to buy)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_20002.htm  (website to buy)

Displaying Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 13.50.48.jpeg

Hope this helps someone :)

Thanks to the OP for asking this question. I was going to ask the same. I was pondering this last night. The RA balance was perfect but DEC balance was well, non existant. Looks like there is hope after all.

Edited by Chefgage

3 hours ago, Chefgage said:

Thanks to the OP for asking this question. I was going to ask the same. I was pondering this last night. The RA balance was perfect but DEC balance was well, non existant. Looks like there is hope after all.

I had to fit a longer dovetail bar on mine. They really should come with a longer one as standard, as you simply can't balance the thing without.

IMG_20210124_133829534.jpg

• Like 1