SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie from Wolverhampton

wulfrun

I thought I'd introduce myself here, as it seems polite and the custom. I've been lurking for some time and decided to join up at last! I'm from Wolverhampton, UK (yes, near the edge of that big blob of light pollution called the Midlands. Fortunately, near enough to the edge that potential escapes aren't too impractical.). I've been a life-long causal and non-practical "observer", meaning I can find a few major "sky-marks" but I've never taken the time to find much more. I've read fairly widely on astronomical subjects over the years.

Fast forward and I'm now retired so I no longer have the excuse of no time! I started off with the plunge into a pair of 10x50 binoculars and the interest has been rekindled, even from my backyard's polluted skies (Neowise also nudged me!). One thing has really struck me though, I'm old enough to remember when skies were a lot darker - something you don't really notice creeping up (rather like age). I'm sure there'll be plenty of questions to follow and I'll try my best to post them in the right place. I'm pretty familiar with camera optics and telescopes have a lot in common, although the technical jargon seems a steep learning curve. That'll do for now or I'll bore you lot to death!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Wulfrun, welcome to SGL. Great that you have rekindled you interest, is a Telescope purchase likely or do you plan to stick with binoculars?

It's already landed! Delivery time proved to be a lot quicker than expected (thanks FLO), it was ordered early and will be a Christmas prezzie. After much deliberation, I've settled on the SkyWatcher 114P Heritage Virtuoso. Modest I know but portability and storability were prime factors and I've already accepted that, like most hobbies, it's unlikely to be the last acquisition.

1 hour ago, SteveWolves said:

Hi from Wolves. Have a look at this https://www.wolvas.org.uk/

We run forghtnightly you tube & Zoom talks.

Thanks for that, although I've already come across the site and bookmarked it. Everything's a bit new at the moment so I will be looking further into wolvas, in time.

Just a thanks to all for the warm welcome too.

On 14/09/2020 at 14:08, SteveWolves said:

I also run an astronomy group at Perton Library aimed at beginners though when that will resume I do not know.

Yes, I'd spotted that, could well be of interest - whenever it gets going again (not looking promising yet but fingers crossed).

Hello and welcome from another new member who has recently converted from the casual looking up to owning a scope.

The learning curve is certainly steep and can appear to be over-whelming in the beginning, thankfully SGL is the font of all knowledge.

I also highly recommend Wolvas for their online talks and of course the local support. I have already met up with a few members for observing sessions and have been exceptionally grateful for the help, support and encouragement given.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2020 at 16:32, wulfrun said:

After much deliberation, I've settled on the SkyWatcher 114P Heritage Virtuoso.

Welcome

They're great portable mounts. You could add goto at a later date either by a synscan handset or if you have a smartphone by the synscan wifi dongle. 

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Welcome

They're great portable mounts. You could add goto at a later date either by a synscan handset or if you have a smartphone by the synscan wifi dongle. 

Good to know it wasn't too bad a choice then. My logic was it's not too big, for portability and storage but the tracking should help me follow things. I'm on the fence regarding Goto and too inexperienced to know if it would suit me or not. I tend to think (rightly or wrongly) that I should at least try to learn my way around without it until I'm at least competent enough to set one up and see if I feel the need. I think the next purchases would be some half-decent eyepieces but again, I've yet to see what direction that leads in terms of FL. Expect the see some "what eyepiece?" type questions in due course!

The mount has freedom find so it isn't locked into goto use even when using goto.

It's good to learn the sky by hand. Apps like Google Sky can help if get lost and on a pc Stelllarium is great planetarium.

Tracking will help you stay and observe a target to relax into viewing it.

Welcome to Julia too

Edited by happy-kat