Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Refractor

Hi Neil,

Have a look at this...

achromat9.jpg.07622412973c2d7ab030c3d338a8562a.jpg

I don't know if you've ever seen one, or have ever owned a smaller refractor like that one.  That one being a 50mm f/12, 10mm smaller in aperture compared to the ubiquitous 60mm instruments produced for decades.  I had blackened and flocked it throughout, as well as updating a feature or two on the outside.  I've observed with it after the fact only once.  I saw a globular-cluster through its "eye", M22 I think.  It wasn't all that dim, and with averted-vision I was able to detect the "diamonds" sparkling within.

Now, I never suggest a refractor that small to those first starting out with a refractor, with 80mm being the suggested minimum.  You do want one's interest to be held in the beginning, and to grow.  

That's another nice thing about refractors, the sparklings oft seen, as if the object is alive, a sentient-being even.  

Case in point: on the left, M13, the great globular-cluster in Hercules, and as seen through my 150mm f/5 Newtonian.  On the right, M13 as seen through my 100mm f/8 refractor...

M13-comparison.jpg.99608f4ac44afff06b2dd1b7683d44a3.jpg

Now, I'm not an imager; visual-use only.  When I observed M13 through the Newtonian, the image was pleasing enough, but I saw no sparkling within.  Needless to say, I did see that wonderful characteristic through the refractor; glorious.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi Alan i have never had or looked through a refractor i dont think unless thats what they had at eton collage when i looked at halleys comet 

So if your little one can do thats the 127 will be a dream to look through

"...a 6-inch Cooke refractor and a 12-inch cassegrain...", according to observatory's website.  The refractor is physically longer than the Cassegrain.  Perhaps they used both for the viewing, if both were present at the time.  I didn't see it in 1986, as it was too far away.  At that time, all I had was this, a 60mm...

kit5.jpg.ad58303c29589f419d5520a3c4f0a3cb.jpg

I didn't have binoculars, either.  But by the early 1990s I had an 80mm, and saw the dark pock marks left behind on Jupiter's surface when the remnants of Comet Shoemaker-Levy impacted the planet.  That comet had disintegrated, and never to be seen again.  It turns out that the comet had been captured by Jupiter about 20 to 30 years before, and began orbiting the planet.  Imagine, what a horrific thing if that happened here.  The use of drugs would skyrocket, I expect, and in not knowing when the inevitable was to occur.

My maternal grandfather, in a later recollection, saw Halley's at the age of 5, but that was during its last visit in 1910.  It was so close to the Earth that a telescope wasn't needed.  Photographs were taken of the comet in 1910...

Halley's_Comet_-_May_29_1910.jpg

Note how Halley's speeds up as it nears the Sun...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halley's_Comet#/media/File:Halley's_Comet_animation.gif

Yes, indeed, that 127mm will be an eye-opener for you.

Incidentally, the shorter 127mm that John is considering would also be ideal for comet-hunting.

22 minutes ago, John said:

My refractor inspiration was Sir Patrick Moore's Cooke 5 inch at Selsey:

pm5inch.jpg.4a1f120a2280c449e49d8cd0026aa34b.jpg

I love his books, particularly the older publications.

I like the "Sky at Night" video of Sir Patrick, in 1961, with his assistant, and the 24" Newtonian.  Unfortunately the clouds rolled in, and just as they were about to observe.

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, John said:

I think Patrick's 5" refractor is probably responsible for many of the refractorphiles of today. I remember aimlessly browsing the shelves of WH Smith when I was 18 years old, when I stumbled upon a small white book Observers Book of Astronomy. I flicked through the pages and when i came across Patrick's 5" my heart skipped a beat. I bought the book (£1.99), and was immediately hooked. The following week I bought Guide to the Moon, read it from front to back in 6 hours, and have been addicted ever since. That is - addicted to astronomy but especially to refractors. Other scopes just don't affect me in the same way.

• Like 1

In a Newtonian's favour, aperture-fever cannot be remedied with a refractor, true, but at times one does prefer that qualitative over that quantitative.  

And then, I had started with a pea-shooter of a refractor, yet the mold was set nonetheless.  I suppose that makes me a bit partial.  Acquiring that 80mm 20 years later was most welcome, and exciting.

Then, about ten years later, I got a 102mm achromat, but returned it shortly thereafter.  At about the same time, I got an 8" f/5 Newtonian, but I've yet to observe through it, as I had gotten an OTA only.  I do want to see what it may show to these ever-aging eyes.

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I spent hours in my younger years salivating over pics of Patrick’s refractor, John!

I could never understand why he housed it in a crappy corrugated plastic observatory, though. This picture shows a much more substantial affair.

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

There was a thread on it. Not made by Takahashi though but made for them.

Not surprising, as Takahashi's in-house operations are more along the lines of a mechanical nature, with their regular offerings at least; the tubes, the focussers, the mounts and tripods perhaps in addition.  The fluorite-doublet of my own was produced by Canon-Optron. 

Ok guys update time  the bresser on ebay has a simple story to it . The guy got it do astrophotography he is a smaller guy and his garden is a maze and he had problems setting thats why its was only used twice . Its is pristine  and he sorry to have to sell it on but needs smaller scope . So looking at it and how well cared for his equipment is i brought it . How often do telescopes go wrong if i dropped it and damaged it the warranty would not cover it so i saved £50 on the price of it new and now it has a loving home with me 

20200914_161110.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1