Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C80ED on the way!

After days of deliberating over what would be a good next scope, I finally settled on the C80ED. I wanted something a bit more compact that the 10" Newt (not too difficult then!) and something to give a wide FOV with my small CCDs. After days of thinking about it until my head hurt, I decided the C80ED seemed to have the best quality optics for the price. The focal length and size are just right. I'm sure the EQ6 will cope! And it just might fit on the single arm Meade GOTO mount I have, for a quick grab and go, so I can take it away from my light polluted back garden.

Hopefully it's winging it's way from FLO as we speak! :)

They are cracking scopes.

You may want to invest in some 90mm skywatcher rings as the clamshell clamp supplied was not the best I found.

I read about that too, so will get some ASAP, thanks. And the scope rings make it easier to mount other cameras/lenses too.

It is a lovely scope, only had it out a couple of time but very pleased with the views. In my light polluted back garden it gives the same views of Orion's Nebula as my old 8" newt did! Plus its a load easier to set up.

The problem you might find is balancing it on the mount! I cant seem to get it balance on an EQ 5. No matter where i put the counter balance it doesn't seem to want to balance.

Havent had any promblems with the clam shells though

The problem you might find is balancing it on the mount! I cant seem to get it balance on an EQ 5. No matter where i put the counter balance it doesn't seem to want to balance.

If you are trying to balance it on a eq5 on its own you might have to get a lighter counter weight. I mounted mine on its own to start with and had to make a lighter weight, it balanced then.

As for the clam shell, i didn't trust it after reading about the problems so made a set of guide rings.

It is a fantastic scope, for its size the views are really good and imaging with it and the SC1 Toucam seems like it is going to be successfull too....... :-)

You wont be disappointed.

Gary

Scope came from FLO in just 2 days, scope rings and some Baader wonder fluid (only the best for this scope) in just a day, very quick.

Firstly what a lovely scope, I hope it performs as well as it looks, can't wait to try it. It feels solid and a good weight, but not too heavy.

I actually found the clamp to work quite well, the clamping clips are adjustable and can clip in various position, so it seemed ok. It's also handy for mounting the scope on a normal camera tripod as it has the correct threaded hole for this. I need the rings though, to mount another camera and lens anyway.

As most people have found, the lens cap drops of if you so much as look at it! I found some black insulation tape wrapped around the cicumference covering the 4 tabs worked very well and was harly noticable. This will also help when taking darks to stop light leaking in through the tab gaps.

Also, the skywatcher electric focuser fits straight onto it, no problem. Of course the focuser itself comes with the usual superglue-for grease stuff. I don't know why they use that stuff, it's even hard do get it off your fingers! However, the focuser is very smooth anyhow with little movement in it.

Seems like I'll be waiting a while to try it on the stars though! :)

I've tested mine out under some very taxing conditions, and apart from my inability to work it well :), I've used it visually at 240x (I got my maths wrong :)) and I have to say the view was sharper than my ST80 at 160x (using the same ep and barlow).

Archived