Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SH2-114 Flying Dragon

Kinch

13 minutes ago, des anderson said:

A stunning image. Well done. Des

Thank you very much Des. You can see from the posts above that I will try take this in another direction....but am happy enough with what the data so far has yielded. 🙂

4 hours ago, morimarty said:

Another top notch image Brendan. Thats some lmage libary you have.

Thanks Martyn. This image is an interim image really as I continue to find my way to a final. Last night I managed some more data and perhaps later todayI will get around to actually completing the image....perhaps two images with different approaches. As for the image library (perhaps you looked in on my website) - unfortunately this hobby has become an all consuming passion .... well maybe not "unfortunately" as other aspects of my life have shut down because of the pandemic out there.

Edited by Kinch

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

excellent image, love the hazy nebulosity.

Thanks for that - as you see above, I am hoping to improve on it. I hope what I see as improvement won't make others like it less. Already I see that the background needs a repair (to remove gradient) and I have some more data to work in. I just hope I can bring it all together 🤞

6 hours ago, Kinch said:

Thanks for that - as you see above, I am hoping to improve on it. I hope what I see as improvement won't make others like it less. Already I see that the background needs a repair (to remove gradient) and I have some more data to work in. I just hope I can bring it all together 🤞

As we all image and process, we improve with time. The hazy effect looks atmospheric and I like it, but it down to everyones personal taste. 

I remember when I imaged the Orion nebula during less than ideal seeing conditions and I ended up with a similar effect, which I liked, but the reactions from other was mixed, some liked it and some didn't... in the eye of the beholder I guess... than again if every photo looked the same, than it would be quite boring very fast.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

I really like that very much. i like the subtlety of it.

Thanks for the comment - not sure I had intended subtley...but then again, I think all my images tend toward subtle rather than loud & sharp. 

Tonight - in between reading all the posts re "Award winning photograph of Andromeda " I went back to try improve on SH2-114 image. There were some aspects of it I did not like and indeed the gradient in the background was obvious to some. I have only added another 30 min each R,G & B to this over the last effort. I have 4 hours of OIII - but there is nothing visible there....so it has not been brought into this one......which now is 12 hours Ha + 7 hours SII + 4½ hours RGB. You will note that I have expanded the field of view - I think in the end, that alone is an improvement. I hope I have not over cooked it and that it still pleases those that liked the 1st version.

SH2-114 - Flying Dragon - Final (1056 x 1056).jpg

• Like 4

Interesting about those posting HOO images. In truthI have not looked.....but will do shortly to see whaat others have managed. This took time & 'effort' - next time I am going after something a little less hard to work on 🙂

1 minute ago, carastro said:

That's looking cracking now Brendan.

Thanks Carole. I would like it a tad deeper in red but the SII (which I want to leave in) is always pulling the Ha back to 'pink'. No worries....I am happy that this is finished. I still might look at making a more NB looking image (I have seen the nebula looking a gold colour elsewhere) ...  but now that I see no signal from my OIII filter, that might just take a while.

25 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Might have another go now. 

Thanks for the comment.....I did not find it easy but in the end, it was rewarding to get a result. Well worth another go.........👍

Edited by Kinch