Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SH2-114 Flying Dragon

Kinch

I am not quite sure where I am going with this one 🤔. I started gatherering data with intentions of completing this object as a totally NB image. The colours in my mind were nothing like this....but I kept following down a track this morning when processing the data I have so far: Ha 12 hours, SII 7 hours and a total of 3 hours RGB. I am sure there will be a follow up image in due course - I am still trying to get some OIII (not that there is much of it there.....if any?) and I may throw some more RGB into the mix. As is....it is still an interesting image of a very faint nebula 😏 

Final SH2-114 Flying Dragon (1635 x 1233).jpg

• Like 25

35 minutes ago, carastro said:

Lovely rendition of a difficult (because it is faint) target.

Thanks Carole. Yes it is indeed quite faint and the 7 hours of SII yielded very little signal. I suspect the OIII will be even less evident - and for that reason I won't waste too much imaging time looking for it....but I will try perhaps 4 or 5 hours....just to see.

5 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Superb image yet again. 

Thank you Mark. Happy to be getting somewhere with this one...but I do want to see how a NB rendition will look. Maybe by the weekend sometime I will have another rendition.

Very nice indeed -- one of my favourites (I love dragons in the sky -- this and the Southern Hemisphere fighting dragons are the two I like best!).  I took some Ha a while back and intend to go back to it at some point (I am in Bortle 8 so RGB is difficulter).  Your data and framing are wonderful.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, szymon said:

(I am in Bortle 8 so RGB is difficulter)

Thanks - you know how faint this is then. Re the RGB - at present this is quite high in the sky for me - so last night, before the moon got up, I shot the 3 hours of RGB.....it was high enough to keep it out of the "gunge" (light pollution) lower down.

• Like 1

Yes it is indeed quite faint and the 7 hours of SII yielded very little signal. I suspect the OIII will be even less evident - and for that reason I won't waste too much imaging time looking for it....but I will try perhaps 4 or 5 hours....just to see.

I did HaRGB with mine, probably because I looked on Astrobin to see what others did, so no idea if there is any Oiii or Sii in this target, it will be interesting to see what you find.

Carole   

There is definitely some faint Oiii there.  My plan was for bicolour HOO to start, and then see if there is any sii.  That said it’s very faint indeed - I picked up a little and then decided to wait until I can afford better filters.  I now have 3.5nm filters and I intend to get back to it.

Here is a bicolour ha/oii by someone else https://www.astrobin.com/310299/?nc=user

Edited by szymon
typo fix

16 minutes ago, carastro said:

it will be interesting to see what you find.

1 minute ago, szymon said:

There is definitely some faint Oiii there.

I have not looked at the OIII yet but this is what 7 hours of SII looks like (just a crude JPEG here....)

SII_7_Hours (801 x 479).jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, szymon said:

So an SHO or other rendition should be possible

I am hoping so and aiming for that as a final for this subject. I hope I can finish it by this weekend....looks like there will be enough breaks tonight & tomorrow night to get more data.

Another lovely image Brendan.  I do envy your skies but more so your processing skills.

On my monitor the top left looks a little pink in comparison to the bottom right but this is a tough object and you have once again delivered on the data.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, x6gas said:

On my monitor the top left looks a little pink

Agree 100%. I think had I been working HaRGB it would have been more red all over but I went down a slippery slope of doing HSS....then HHSS with RGB mixed in. The RGB is not so good (I don't really have good skies) so I had to stay away from the 1st option (HaRGB). If I do manage to get some good nights for more RGB, it will be worth it I think...but the next step is to see how HaSHO will work out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Looking forward to see if you get any OIII from it.

I have not seen it on the subs that I have so far but 'szymon' reports above that it is there. It must be weaker than the SII....so looks like more than the token few hours of OIII that I had planned is going to be a necessity.

I dug out a screenshot of the Ha when I last tried this.  Bear in mind that this was with a fan cooled (not set point, so effectively uncooled) 183M (so tiny little pixels) via an 80mm Celestron 80ED (f/6 with reducer) from Bortle 8 LPLondon, going through an inexpensive 7nm Ha filter.  I think this was two hours, so it's ridiculously faint.

Definitely going to be my first 'proper' target for the new scope 🙂

image.thumb.png.1d303d8b5ac8176eaeb750e3cb0d3f94.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kinch said:

I have not seen it on the subs that I have so far but 'szymon' reports above that it is there. It must be weaker than the SII....so looks like more than the token few hours of OIII that I had planned is going to be a necessity.

What I saw in a couple of hours integration was ridiculously faint, to the extent that I wasn't sure that there was anything there at all, but I have seen others post HOO images so I'm basing my assumption on that.  If not then I'll be trying various Sii and Ha combinations (HSS vs SHS vs SSH should give the three main dragon types from DnD, for the other geeks out there ;-)).

26 minutes ago, szymon said:

If not then I'll be trying various Sii and Ha combinations

The joys of imaging....the endless possibilities 🤩..................one of the reasons I love working with NB data.

• Like 1

Wow, that's nothing at all.  Considering the quality of your gear (although I know very little about CCDs but I assume those are sensitive) perhaps there just really isn't anything, and the HOO images that are out there are just the Ha against background and stars.

I will continue to try with the OIII.....but it is not looking very promising. CMOS sensors are more sensitive ...but I should be picking something up by tonight if I am going to get any OIII at all. 

Edited by Kinch
  • Like 1