Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iphone 6s hand held

20 hours ago, ibraidwo said:

Great picture.

Can you tell me what eyepiece you used to achieve this? Whenever I offer my iPhone up to the eyepiece I never seem to be able to find the sweet spot. 

Do you have the eye shield folded down or not?

Thanks,

Hello, the eyepiece was a Celestron 8-24 without the eye shield. I do normally have the problem you describe but this time it worked out OK.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ibraidwo said:

Great picture.

Can you tell me what eyepiece you used to achieve this? Whenever I offer my iPhone up to the eyepiece I never seem to be able to find the sweet spot. 

Do you have the eye shield folded down or not?

Thanks,

A lot depends on the eye relief of the eyepiece you are using. If it has long eye relief then try pulling the phone away from the eyepiece more so that you are positioned correctly on the exit pupil. You should find the image opens out and aligning is easier. Obviously if it has tight eye relief then the phone needs to be closer to the eyepiece.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toshapetriji said:

Hello, the eyepiece was a Celestron 8-24 without the eye shield. I do normally have the problem you describe but this time it worked out OK.

Thanks - I think I have that exact eyepiece in my collection! I will have to give it a try.

Has anyone had any success with using phone adapters/holders?

1 hour ago, ibraidwo said:

Thanks - I think I have that exact eyepiece in my collection! I will have to give it a try.

Has anyone had any success with using phone adapters/holders?

I’ve used a variety of them including the Celestron NeXYZ, Televue FoneMate and Orion Steadypix EZ. All work well, even some of the cheaper ones do a good job too. The NeXYZ is good because it allows adjustment towards and away from the eyepiece which can be very helpful to get the field fully illuminated.

I confess I do still often handhold the phone when just wanting a quick shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1