Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Experienced ATM builds CarbonFiber Tubed 18" Newt

Woodrow F Caul

And so it Begin's.. 

Before I start, my Telescope making background on the 3 largest scopes I've done.

This white 20" Cassegrain, I didn't build, but I dismantled at University of Colorado Boulder and moved it (with the help of Riggers)  to a bed and breakfast Observatory called the Star Hill Inn, and Reassembled + aligned, and tuned the Worm gear drives. 

Anybody recognize Gene Shoemaker?

IMG_-68lvym.jpg

• Like 2

#3 in 88 I built this 12.5 " F/11 Planetary Newtonian for the Miami Valley Astronomical Society's John Bryan State Park Observatory. Using the mirror & Secondary that they owned. It features 2.25 Stainless Steel axels in Pillow Block Bearings & Rotating Rings.

Best view of Mars's Polar Ice Cap I've ever had... Was in this!

Colors were left to my discretion so it's Scarlet and Grey ! O-H

IMG_-h822cz.jpg

IMG_20200516_235959.jpg

Edited by Woodrow F Caul
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Woodrow F Caul said:

#3 in 88 I built this 12.5 " F/11 Planetary Newtonian for the Miami Valley Astronomical Society's John Bryan State Park Observatory. Using the mirror & Secondary that they owned. It features 2.25 Stainless Steel axels in Pillow Block Bearings & Rotating Rings.

Best view of Mars's Polar Ice Cap I've ever had... Was in this!

Colors were left to my discretion so it's Scarlet and Grey ! O-H

IMG_-h822cz.jpg

IMG_20200516_235959.jpg

Amazing scope, but how on Earth do you look through that eyepiece?! 

I ordered Seamless Carbon Fiber tube material 5.8oz/yard to make it 1 layer thick, Very Strong and it's optimal size is 21" Diameter at 45° fiber angle. This Braided Sock has a +/- 20% diameter size depending on the braided strands intersect angle.

By my Calculations  this 6.8 ft X 22 in Diameter O.D. tube will weigh around 5lbs.

Next step is to build a Rotating Mandrel to put the Carbon Fiber Sock on to infuse the Epoxy resin into it.

Gonna be FUN !

IMG_20200906_123303_copy_1224x1632.jpg

IMG_20200906_123513_copy_1224x1632.jpg

IMG_20200906_123239_copy_1224x918.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Amazing scope, but how on Earth do you look through that eyepiece?! 

I KNOW, RIGHT!?? LOL

There's a Nice roll around Ladder , AND it has rotating Rings, so the tube rotates putting the eyepiece at the best Angle for viewing, relative to what you're looking at in the sky , on the big German equatorial Mount .

Edited by Woodrow F Caul
forgot to mention rotating rings

On 06/09/2020 at 21:16, Woodrow F Caul said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=127fb0a7147957bfI ordered Seamless Carbon Fiber tube material 5.8oz/yard to make it 1 layer thick, Very Strong and it's optimal size is 21" Diameter at 45° fiber angle. This Braided Sock has a +/- 20% diameter size depending on the braided strands intersect angle.

By my Calculations  this 6.8 ft X 22 in Diameter O.D. tube will weigh around 5lbs.

Next step is to build a Rotating Mandrel to put the Carbon Fiber Sock on to infuse the Epoxy resin into it.

Gonna be FUN !

Hi Woodrow, amazing scopes you’ve built already and this new project will be very interesting to follow i’m sure. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose a solid tube over the more common truss dob format?

Mark

Thank You! Its My Labor of Love.

I'm going to try something new and I haven't said it because I don't know if I can do it , or not. But I'm going to TRY TO incorporate 2 linear bearing races in circumference of the actual carbon fiber tube. So then all it takes is a fairly thin cast aluminum outer bearing race (with rod braces to the other rotating rings)  so basically it's a low profile rotating ring system where the bittom race is built into the tube and it's going to be either aluminum u channel or possibly stainless steel, molded directly into the carbon fiber Tube.IMG_20200908_221725.jpg.529aec0cdd6d93f76c201122b90671fa.jpg

And then, it goes on a eq8.. if I can keep the weight down..

I ordered 4 boxes of the Double wide, plastic caged linear needle bearings FF3555ZW

So , long story short-

"TOO LATE!!" 

not a Dob, going to try to make low profile rotating rings and put it on a German equatorial.

Edited by Woodrow F Caul
  • Like 2