Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grandsons first Telescope

On 06/09/2020 at 17:46, vlebo said:

Hi all 

I need some advice please !

It's my grandsons birthday in a couple of weeks , he will be 8 , and he's shown an interest in Astronomy .

I want ot get him his first telescope but I don't want to spend a lot as he may lose interest , kids being kids etc .

I want it to be easy to use as in grab and go , but also big enough to pique his interest and for him to see Jupiters moons  , Saturns rings , possibly The Orion Nebula etc.

Iv'e seen the Skywatcher Heritage 130 and 150 but a little put off by it possibly needing collimation every now and then , the problem with that is he's 150 miles away !!!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated 

Vlebo 

Vlebo

First of all welcome from Land Down Under

My 8yo grandson also shares my passion

Couple of weeks ago he phoned me saying there is a very bright star near the moon

I told him, it was not a star, he responded back saying has to be Jupiter then

He was correct 

Currently we have Jupiter, Saturn and Scorpio directly overhead just after sunset

Mars rises a couple of hours later

A 8'' or 10'' flex Dob is the best option for your grandson

In this forum, there is too much emphasis place around collimination

Pre Covid-19, I was out a couple of times per month with my club, doing presentations in primary schools, space badge cubs and joeys, scout movement

I have to very rarely need to collimate my 10'' flex Dob

Also get a right angle finderscope, as lot easier to use, and do not have to lie on the ground when trying to spot things overhead

Another tip, due to the base been chipboard material, place the base on a small waterproof tarp, to protect the base from moisture in the ground

Have attached a pic of my 10" Dob, taken late last year at a club public viewing night

The Dob in the background with a shroud fitted is a 8'' Flex Dob

Hope I have been of assistance

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg