Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Grant

Imaging Progress / Target Suggestions

An update of imaging progress so far:

• M16 Eagle Nebula - 100 Hours SHO, Complete, Released
  • NGC6888 Crescent Nebula - 80 Hours SHO, Complete, Released
  • M17 Omega Nebula - 80 Hours SHO, Complete
  • IC 59 and IC 63 Ghosts of Cassiopeia - 80 Hours SHO, Complete
  • DWB 111 Propellor Nebula - Complete
  • M33 - In Progress

Opening up for suggestions for our next target?

You can see the FOV details here: http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/?fov[]=7500||35||1|1|0&messier=17

And bear in mind our location in Spain here: https://www.pixelskiesastro.com/

Ideally we want to be imaging above 30º and an object that will stay up a good chunk of the night so we can build through the data nice and quickly or, several objects we do each night which is what we did with M17 and IC59 recently.

Hmm... M33 would be a nice fit. Do it in HaLRGB for those of us who have less than dark skies? I know it's a bit of a chestnut, but it's lees easy than one might think and *does* need a dark sky to really pull out the faint stuff.

Note: My own skies *are* dark enough, but not all of us have mag 21.66 or better.

Yes some LRGB would be nice...  how about the Iris Nebula NGC7023 and /or NGC1333 in Perseus and in NB IC1805 in the Heart 

Dave

Edited by Laurin Dave

Bat and Squid Sh2-129 and OU4.  The latter will need lost of Oiii which many of us can't get.

Carole  

On 05/09/2020 at 20:56, carastro said:

Bat and Squid Sh2-129 and OU4.  The latter will need lost of Oiii which many of us can't get.

Carole  

You read my mind Carole - I did a test shot of this a few days ago and the FOV is a nice fit so I would like to try this - especially after seeing the recent amazing image of this object in the deep sky section!

• Like 1

A demanding galaxy in LRGB (and some Ha) gets my vote, M33 as already suggested?

I like the idea of NGC7023 as well.

If you have amassed another 240hr of integration with more in progress is there a chance you could start releasing 2+ datasets per month to keep up?

M33 is a good choice. I've never been able to get a full compliment of data on this galaxy. 

M33 is in progress 🙂

• Like 3

Couple more nights on M33 and we will have:

• 120x 20min Ha
  • 360x 5min L
  • 120x 5min R
  • 120x 5min G
  • 120x 5min B

That should do us?

What next? 🙂

• Like 1

Looking forward to m33!

Any reason why you have relatively little lum compared to rgb? I normally go 1:1 with lum = combined rgb not each channel being equal.

Can't wait to see the M33 data!

An LRGB dataset of some of the interstellar dust in Taurus would be my suggestion!

On 10/10/2020 at 09:46, jimjam11 said:

Looking forward to m33!

Any reason why you have relatively little lum compared to rgb? I normally go 1:1 with lum = combined rgb not each channel being equal.

Oops - it's actually 360x 5min L subs that we've captured.... I've updated the post above.

So next we are going for NGC7023 / Iris Nebula in LRGB - not sure if it's worth trying to get any narrowband on this as well to blend in? Any thoughts?

Here is progress so far, single 5 min L sub:

image.thumb.png.d5bd3122a85c1ed434eb14f7b3b5a317.png

• Like 1

Nice choice..  There may be some Grant but I'd say don't bother and concentrate on LRGB.  Also maybe move the framing a tad to the left (ie the Iris to the right) to capture more of the dust to the left side of the Iris

Dave