Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

S@N Exciting New Result...

Macavity

I suspect something more mundane in terms of news. But important in science.
For example an agreement on UK access to European astronomy resources, now we are out of the 'common market' club. Yes showing age there.

It might just be extras pages in the S@N magazine. Nothing like being a pessimist.😕

The optimist in me hopes it will be a government announcement that all UK councils, business premises and homes have to stop light pollution.😁

Great. They do this the day I start camping with no mobile signal and the dodgiest of WiFi!

I wonder what it is? Aliens haven't landed - we'd know by now... Hmm.. Something that will be announced that day... DaveS I'm with you on this. Life on Mars or more likely, definitive evidence of past life.

2 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hopefully that Stargazing live will be brought back this year please, please please, after the BBC decided to axe it

What's worse, our monthly S @ N was suspended for a couple of months, and I suspect it was so Chris et al could go gallivanting off to Oz to do their Stargazing Live which we don't get to see. That was a real slap in the face for us Bit astronomers.

• Sad 1

Hmm. It may be something to do with black holes and gravitational waves. Not quite as exciting to the masses as life existing somewhere.

14th September is the 5th anniversary of the first direct observation of gravitational waves... Coincidence?

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 13:49, DaveS said:

Well, leaving Politics aside, we currently are members of ESA, and, I think ESO, which have other members outside the EU.

Though I did hear one suggestions that it would be the UK government announcing that they are seeking a trade deal with Mars. 😉

On 05/09/2020 at 00:57, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Hmm. It may be something to do with black holes and gravitational waves. Not quite as exciting to the masses as life existing somewhere.

14th September is the 5th anniversary of the first direct observation of gravitational waves... Coincidence?

There was a journalist on twitter saying it was to do with "astrobiology" but theres an embargo on reporting until Monday.

10 minutes ago, HutchStar said:

There was a journalist on twitter saying it was to do with "astrobiology" but theres an embargo on reporting until Monday.

Exobiology, gotta love Star Trekky terms...🤣

I very much doubt that it will be anything astounding.

I hardly think that the world scientific community would patiently wait for a slot on a minor TV show from a minor little country to announce something BIG!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lukebl said:

I very much doubt that it will be anything astounding.

I hardly think that the world scientific community would patiently wait for a slot on a minor TV show from a minor little country to announce something BIG!

The announcement isn’t on the show, the show has moved to after the announcement so they can talk about it.

Agree it probably isn’t that BIG though or else it would have been released by now.

21 minutes ago, globular said:

The announcement isn’t on the show, the show has moved to after the announcement so they can talk about it.

Agree it probably isn’t that BIG though or else it would have been released by now.

I agree. I should have read the original post more thoroughly. Sorry!

In the nature of these things it will probably not be anything astounding (as far as the rest of the world goes)

Because of the long lead time it will be something that has turned up in data analysis rather than obvious in the data. If it was obvious in the data then many more people would have noticed it. Also last weekend in the Q&A at the Observatory Science Centre festival Dr Joanna Barstow made a comment about knowing the co-authors which implies a paper based on data and not the data itself.

It is also probably not exoplanets because in the same Q&A all the attendees were asked what excited them in astronomy at the moment. Chris Lintott made the comment that as he knows what the announcement is he couldn't say that but "someone has to say exoplanets" which kind of implies that it isn't an exoplanet discovery.

or we could just wait!

Edited by jnb
Quoted wrong author