SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do not clean this blackboard -- Feynman anecdote

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2020 at 19:33, Louis D said:

Why cellphone cameras are so handy to have today.  Someone is always snapping an image of a whiteboard in a conference room after a productive brainstorming session at work.

I did an open university maths/physics course a few years ago. When we had face to face tutorials where the tutor worked through various examples there was always a long delay after each one while many of the students queued up to take pictures of the whiteboard. It was a pain in the a**

19 minutes ago, woodblock said:

I did an open university maths/physics course a few years ago. When we had face to face tutorials where the tutor worked through various examples there was always a long delay after each one while many of the students queued up to take pictures of the whiteboard. It was a pain in the a**

That's where chat rooms come in handy. My students let one person take a picture, who then shares it on a chat. Technological advancement in action.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, woodblock said:

I wouldn't have any experience with that.  The last class I took was for my Master's program in December 1992.  Definitely no cameras in the room that I can recall.  They would have almost had to have been film cameras at the time.

Back during my undergraduate days in the mid-80s, I did work on campus recording classes for distance learning onto 3/4" VCR tapes that were then sent to various companies where they would be viewed by a class made up entirely of employees.  After a period of time, they were returned, and the tapes were erased via Deguassing coil for reuse and to prevent anyone from viewing a class for free.  I would guess distance learning has changed considerably in the last 40 years as well. 😉

My earliest memory of students taking pictures with mobiles is from 2006. I was teaching an electronics lab then, and students used their mobiles to take pictures of oscilloscope traces that they needed for their lab reports.