Narrowband

Canon EOS1000D won't switch on

BrendanC

Argh!

Earlier today, when I opened the battery compartment (very carefully) on my EOS1000D, the lid came off. I really didn't force it or anything. I just clicked it back into place, thought nothing of it. Then I couldn't insert a battery for some reason. After blowing into the compartment and cleaning it, the battery went in fine, but now it won't switch on.

I've tried it with several different, charged batteries, and with my power pack. Nothing.

I know that the battery compartment door needs to be fully closed for it to work, so I'm wondering whether this is the problem?

Any ideas? Getting a bit desperate now...

Edited by BrendanC

Hi Brendan

I dont know the details of your camera but Canon models generally have a small protrusion on the battery cover that engages with a micro switch on the camera body, it is possible that this broke off the lid at some point but you should be able to test this by using a cocktail stick or similar to depress the switch manually or it could be that the switch has got stuck and again the same method just mentioned could free it..

Alan  

• Thanks 1

HOLY MOLY!

It worked!

So I can press the micros switch in, and the camera comes on. However, it still doesn't work when I close the battery door.

So it seems to me that the bit on the door, that pushes the micro switch, has come off.

This is encouraging. 

I either need to figure out how to make my own 'protrusion', or source an alternative EOS1000D battery compartment door.

Thank you so much, you've really helped me out here. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrendanC said:

HOLY MOLY!

It worked!

So I can press the micros switch in, and the camera comes on. However, it still doesn't work when I close the battery door.

So it seems to me that the bit on the door, that pushes the micro switch, has come off.

This is encouraging. 

I either need to figure out how to make my own 'protrusion', or source an alternative EOS1000D battery compartment door.

Thank you so much, you've really helped me out here. :)

Thats good, had a look on google and there are lots of pictures of the battery door so you could make something up but there does seem to be a plentiful supply of battery doors on e-bay or you could buy a battery grip instead which will do the same job.

Alan

Yep, already ordered one. I could either get one for about £1.50 on Ebay delivered in a month, or pay £6.50 on Amazon and get it delivered tomorrow. So, that's hardly going to break the bank. Hopefully it'll fix this problem, which will be a huge relief.

There are so many available online, I bet it's a common thing to break, either that or the hinge, they're both a bit on the weak side.

I did look around for the 'extrusion' bit but it'll just be a small piece of black plastic that could be anywhere. I've since realised through a process of Sherlock Holmes-like deduction that it must have been that small bit that was causing problems getting batteries in and out - it must have fallen into the compartment, and I must have got it out when I cleaned it. Now I know what I'm looking for, I can actually see where it's snapped off the door. 

Another lesson learned. I cannot express how relieved I am.

Again, thank you so much for your help. :)

Edited by BrendanC
  • Thanks 1