Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Sirius Starwatcher

Mounts for 150 - 200 skywatcher Explorer.

My apologies if this question has already been answered but couldn’t find it on the search.

I have the Skytee on the heavy duty tripod. I would like to put the Skywatcher 200P explorer on it. Am I pushing my luck. 
I believe the 150 p weighs 8.8 kg and would be ok but would like the bigger 200.

thanks for reading

It should be OK with the 200mm F/5 with appropriate counter weighting on the other side of the mount. Don't use the stock Skytee II dovetail clamps with such an optical tube though.

This refractor is longer and heavier than the 200P F/5 and my Skytee II coped with it quite well. Note an ADM clamp is used:

lzosst2.JPG

Thanks John I already have the ADM clamp fitted. Would you fit the 200 on the side of the mount as shown in your photo or on the  top fitting ?. I’m trying to visualise the counter weight position if that makes sense.

Edited by Sirius Starwatcher

3 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Thanks John I already have the ADM clamp fitted. Would you fit the 200 on the side of the mount as shown in your photo or on the  top fitting ?. I’m trying to visualise the counter weight position if that makes sense.

I would use the side fitting. I only use the top fitting for very small / light scopes or a camera.

I did try a Bresser 10” OTA on the Skytee and while it worked fine now stick to the dob mount. Easier to set up. 🙂

E87C3A8C-32C9-49F1-A00A-9CB801A9CAC8.jpeg

Edited by johninderby