Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounts for 150 - 200 skywatcher Explorer.

My apologies if this question has already been answered but couldn’t find it on the search.

I have the Skytee on the heavy duty tripod. I would like to put the Skywatcher 200P explorer on it. Am I pushing my luck. 
I believe the 150 p weighs 8.8 kg and would be ok but would like the bigger 200.

thanks for reading

It should be OK with the 200mm F/5 with appropriate counter weighting on the other side of the mount. Don't use the stock Skytee II dovetail clamps with such an optical tube though.

This refractor is longer and heavier than the 200P F/5 and my Skytee II coped with it quite well. Note an ADM clamp is used:

lzosst2.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Thanks John I already have the ADM clamp fitted. Would you fit the 200 on the side of the mount as shown in your photo or on the  top fitting ?. I’m trying to visualise the counter weight position if that makes sense.

I would use the side fitting. I only use the top fitting for very small / light scopes or a camera.

• 2 months later...
On 03/09/2020 at 17:51, johninderby said:

I did try a Bresser 10” OTA on the Skytee and while it worked fine now stick to the dob mount. Easier to set up. 🙂

@johninderby If one wanted to go completely mad and try mounting their own 10" Bresser OTA in such a way, what type/length of dovetail bar would that crazy person look at getting (my saddle is universal Vixen or Losmandy) ? 🤔

Edited by HollyHound

I used an ADM 11” dovetail bar.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-vixen-style-universal-dovetail-bars.html

Of course  you could use an 11” Losmandy dovetail bar. Pity the StellaMira one is out of stock as it’sa good price.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I used an ADM 11” dovetail bar.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-vixen-style-universal-dovetail-bars.html

Of course  you could use an 11” Losmandy dovetail bar. Pity the StellaMira one is out of stock as it’sa good price.

Ok thanks John. Oddly enough I had a StellaMira Losmandy bar but sold it 4 months ago 🤣

• 4 months later...
On 03/09/2020 at 17:51, johninderby said:

I did try a Bresser 10” OTA on the Skytee and while it worked fine now stick to the dob mount. Easier to set up. 🙂

Hi John,

As I mentioned in the earlier posts and just recently on the AZ100 owners thread, I am going to try my Bresser 10” OTA on the AZ100.

The StellaMira Losmandy dovetail mentioned seems ideal and so will be ordering one... however, I wanted to know whether you had much flexing on the tube or tube rings in this configuration, and whether you’d think another dovetail (Vixen) would make sense on the opposite side to the Losmandy, potentially giving extra rigidity and acting as a sort of handle too 🤔 

Bresser do have a handle but it’s not able to be shipped anymore to the UK anymore, but the dovetail could serve both purposes anyway.

Thanks

Gary

Didn’t notice any flexing but then only tested it and didn’t use it again. Surprisingly  stable on the Skytee though. Hardest part was fitting the tube to the mount single handed. A helper to tighten the saddle while you hold the tube would make it easy.

Something like this would allow you to hold the tube in place while tightening the saddle though.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p11176_Farpoint-Carrying-strap-and-Handle-for-10--and-12--Newtonian-or-Dobsonian-Telescopes.html

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Didn’t notice any flexing but then only tested it and didn’t use it again. Surprisingly  stable on the Skytee though. Hardest part was fitting the tube to the mount single handed. A helper to tighten the saddle while you hold the tube would make it easy.

Something like this would allow you to hold the tube in place while tightening the saddle though.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p11176_Farpoint-Carrying-strap-and-Handle-for-10--and-12--Newtonian-or-Dobsonian-Telescopes.html

Thanks John. I’ll get the Losmandy dovetail and see how it goes.

Looks like a good option for handle. I’m also considering using my observer chair (footrest) as a stand, to introduce the tube vertically, but that might be awkward and fraught with issues.

See how I get on 🤞