SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EP18 - Sunday, 6th September 2020 7:30pm BST - Dark Art or Magic Bullet? by Steve Richards

Grant

We are very, very pleased to welcome back our very own Steve Richards @steppenwolf of http://www.nightskyimages.co.uk/  to StarGaZine to continue from his first talk with his new talk 'Dark Art or Magic Bullet?'.

This is a follow-on to the ‘Finish’ section from his original ‘Making Every Photon Count’ talk and is aimed at beginners to the dark art of image processing. The aim will be to show a complete processing workflow to produce an LRGB image of the Whirlpool Galaxy, M51. The following topics will be discussed:-

• Data Preparation
  • Bias/Dark/Flat Frame Calibration
  • Image Alignment
  • Image Stacking
  • Initial Stretching
  • Combining Red, Green and Blue Data
  • Removing Light Pollution
  • Levels Adjustment
  • Curves Adjustment
  • Saturation Adjustment
  • Adding Luminance Data
  • Increasing Colour Saturation (PhotoShop Action available to download)
  • Final Colour Balance Adjustment
  • Sharpening (PhotoShop Action available to download)
  • Demonstrating the contribution of the Luminance Data

Links to Software Downloads:

FITS Liberator Version 2.3

Deep Sky Stacker (DSS)

Stargazine Actions.atn

Meeting details below:

Topic: EP18 - Sunday, 6th September 2020 7:30pm BST - Dark Art or Magic Bullet? by Steve Richards
Time: Sep 6, 2020 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/93254088501?pwd=K0lDa2w5NktnMTc3ZVkvUUpTSEg3QT09

Meeting ID: 932 5408 8501
Passcode: 939401

• Like 8

Thanks Steve and FLO, another informative talk to listen too, always pick something new up with each one.

I should be able to trial the astro flat plugin as it should work with PaintShopPro or Affinity.

Edited by happy-kat
An A not an I

21 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Very good talk and learned lots, would be interested how much of this is transferable into Affinity Photo which I have moved to from CS6...

Alan

We have an Affinity talk organised for later in the year 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Grant said:

We have an Affinity talk organised for later in the year 🙂

Thanks Grant, thats great news, the Affinity Photo user base seems to be growing recently and it is becoming a genuine contender to PS...

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

Affinity is similar in many ways to PS. If Affinity had a catalog I'd ditch PS, but because of a major project kicking off next week (which I will report elsewhere) I will have to keep using PS for the time being as I need the catalog (I have about 30k images).

• 3 weeks later...

A belated thanks for Steve's excellent talk which I just caught up with today and the downloads provided.  As was said in the presentation, you never stop learning with astrophotography and especially processing - much appreciated.

Graham