SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Altair GP CAM3 385C

baggywrinkle

I already own three Altair cameras and consider them a really good buy considering price  performance. 178C, 183C and a GP 290M

With Mars putting on a nice show and at high altitude I was using the 178C Hypercam and got some good results, however it was a little slow even when the ROI was reduced. It has been excellent for Lunar and DSS though.

I was considering the GP 290C for a planetary as I have a very good opinion of the 290M (mono) which I use for all Lunar imaging. Bout on advice from Ian at Altair I and bought a GP2 CAM 385C.

Like the 290M it is a nice small package and it will be used on my Meade 12" SCT.

I used it for the first time on 1st September with the Sharpcap software. I have never had any issues with this software recognizing a camera and its built in features for the histogram and focus are excellent.

I was stunned by the speed. Even on full chip I was getting 100 FPS and when using a reduced ROI 170-200 FPS. With that frame rate I now need to use it with a 2x Barlow. I know the frame rate will drop but it will still be faster than the 178C

So 10/10 for this little gem.

Attached my first try with the camera. 

Happy Bunny

03_45_55 Mars.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice! I have 2 altair cameras - gpcam3 224c and 290m - and am very pleased with both. They have both worked perfectly right out the box and no issues at all in the 2 years I've had them. I just hope that a future firecapture update sees them compatible with Linux with firecapture and then I can make the switch from Windows