SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Cape Town

Camissa

My name is Eckhard and I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

At the moment I am setting up my rig in the garden whenever weather permits. I am busy planing a roll-off observatory and I hope I will be finished by the end of October. My main interest are the deep sky objects of the Milky Way.

I started with Astronomy 30 years ago with a Meade LX200. While I travelled for many years back and forth between Europe and California, my LX200 stayed in California. I had wonderful evenings and mellow nights under the stars. After I moved the telescope to Europe this stopped, the sky in Berlin was just too bad and I was working too much to often drive to darker skies. 

After retiring I bought an A-P Starfire 130, moved to sunny Cape Town and now the Southern Skies keep me entertained. 

IMG_0061.thumb.jpeg.a55f4f5d5181b4e2f7991e96f5341d4a.jpeg

I have started with astrophotography a year ago. This is my rig, pointing at the SCP and waiting for darkness. I am approximately 1.000 meters away from where John Herschel had his observatory while he was cataloging the Southern Skies. 

I am busy getting all the gear for my observatory which has caused a lot of rain and stormy weather in Cape Town. As I am nearly done, our local newspaper this morning had this headline:

Rain of terror almost over, say weather forecasters

Good thing nobody here knows the real reason for the bad weather period. 

I am looking forward to spending time here and learning about astronomy and especially astrophotography. 

Clear skies and cheers,
Ecki
Edited by Camissa
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...