Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen 4" refractor / Super Polaris - advice requested

My first post here – hello! – and I would welcome some advice.

I have a Vixen 4” refractor (not the fluorite lense) on a Super Polaris mount, which I bought new about 25 years ago. I do enjoy looking at the major planets and some of the brighter Messier objects – I still remember my children seeing Jupiter and Saturn for the first time! However, I’d like to move from this being an occasional hobby for a few hours on a clear night, to something more serious, with a focus on astrophotography.

The Super Polaris mount seems to have been discontinued a few years ago, and there’s no ‘off the shelf’ motor / tracking equipment available. The telescope functions very well, but it looks as if there have been significant advances in optical technology since I bought the Vixen, and I guess that a much superior telescope would be available at a reasonable price.

I guess one approach would be to buy a new mount – perhaps something like the Sky-Watcher EQ3? – so that I could continue to use the Vixen and use the tracking to begin to do some photography? Or would I be better off selling both the telescope and the SP mount, and buying something more modern? What would you do, and what would you recommend?

Edited by David J H
spacing

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. I do not do astrophotography but I do know that the EQ3 Mount will almost not be enough on most occasions. The mount is very important for AP and it is best to go for the the heaviest load bearing model you can afford. This will also future proof your system as you improve your other kit.

IIRC it might be possible to update the Vixen Super Polaris to GoTo by exploiting its similarity to the EQ-5.  The Synscan upgrade kit costs around £300.  If this appeals, search this forum for relevant and confirmatory posts.  For the same or slightly more money however you could buy a used EQ-5 Synscan.  I suggest you buy and read the book "Making Every Photon Count" (available from FLO) before you spend a lot of money on unsuitable kit.  I suspect that the Vixen is not particularly suited to astrophotography other than planetary imaging.

I'm sure the EQ-3 would not be adequate to mount a long 4" refractor.  Whether even an EQ-5 or equivalent would be adequate for your future plans depends on how seriously you want to get into astrophotography.

Unless you are constrained by cash or storage space, I would advise keeping the Vixen and its SP mount regardless.

I used to own the same scope many years ago - the Vixen SP102M. Very fine scope !

The SP mount is similar in capacity to the Skywatcher EQ5 mount but for imaging you might need something more stable such as the Celestron AVX or Skywatcher HEQ5 mounts. Vixen retired the SP a long time back replacing it with the GP mounts and then with the current AP mount.

It is possible to fit a Skywatcher EQ5 dual drive system to the SP mount but some DIY modifications are needed:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/362825-drive-for-early-vixen-super-polaris-mount/?p=4674995

Optically, you won't find much to beat the Vixen unless you move to something with an objective using and ED or Fluorite glass element. Vixen achromatic objectives are very good even by today's standards.

• Like 2

Hello @David J H

Welcome to SGL.

You have a very nice setup which as John points out can be updated/modified with drives.

I wanted the same setup in 1986 when Astro Systems of Luton were selling them but went for an 8.5” Newtonian instead.

Amateur astrophotography has developed tremendously in the last 15 or so years. I dabbled for a little while but decided to stay visual only.

There are lots of people on here who will offer guidance and help if you should need it.

Best decide on a budget first though as astrophotography can get expensive.

If you want to update your mount the HEQ5 as again John mentioned is very capable......

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

Good luck.

The 102m is indeed a fantastic scope. I had one myself. As others have pointed out. An HEQ5 is the way to go, but again I would not part with the SP mount.

Welcome, and enjoy your stay here

Regards Rob

I once had a Vixen GPD...

legacy4.jpg.dc153ce862bea53ca77f969915f2bcfb.jpg

I never got a chance to "trick" it out with a motor(s).

The Vixen SP is seemingly in between a current EQ-3 and EQ-5, perhaps leaning more towards an EQ-5 in robustness.  

It should be possible to motorise only the RA-axis of the SP, and attach this...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

...for visual and casual imaging.

Then, I also had, for a brief span of time, that same Vixen 4" achromat, and on a GP mount...

1066498463_Vixen102mmf9.8.jpg.d8aea4992ca75de71c4e767e9066a9ad.jpg

Edited by Alan64

Hi. Ive got exactly that. a vixen super polaris with a sp102m ie 4 inch acro. its still my goto scope. Its now c40 years old (ex Luton) and i love it.  as folk have sid its = to a eq5 roughly. in fact i obtained a skywatcher 8” f5 ota and mount that on the super polaris when i want to do planetary.   For visual and short run webcam imaging its just about adequate.  

Wide field camera pics i take by mounting the camera on the other end of the dec axis.  Not great but just about passable for short exposures if aligned exactly.  

All the best for your endeavours!

Kev

I too! Then I automated it using goto4all and sold it on. There's a variety of routes to goto for that mount if you want to. The eq5 is a bit more robust, if only in sheer capacity. 

I do miss mine, but I also have a gpdx with visac so not missing out too much. 

Having compared the engineering of the Vixen SP / GP and GP-DX with the chinese clones it is obvious even to a non-engineer such as me that the Japanese made Vixen's are made to higher tolerances and quality than the clones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all very much for both for the welcome, and the very helpful advice. Having given this a bit of thought, I think it would make sense to try to fit the Skywatcher EQ5 dual drive system to my SP mount, as this isn't overly complicated. This would enable me to track objects without manually adjusting every minute, and also start some basic astrophotography, without spending a large amount of money at this time.

• Like 1

Hello, that's nice kit you have (but I may be biased as I use a Vixen 102M on an SP mount as my visual scope :) ).  Would definitely keep the SP mount until & unless you want something much beefier.  I used to have a Vixen GP2 which I turned into go-to with this: https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/control-of-telescopes/eqstareq5 - similar concept as the Skywatcher EQ5 dual drive system but I think this is belted and quieter than the SW which is cogged (I think?).

Cheers

4 hours ago, vineyard said:

Hello, that's nice kit you have (but I may be biased as I use a Vixen 102M on an SP mount as my visual scope :) ).  Would definitely keep the SP mount until & unless you want something much beefier.  I used to have a Vixen GP2 which I turned into go-to with this: https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/control-of-telescopes/eqstareq5 - similar concept as the Skywatcher EQ5 dual drive system but I think this is belted and quieter than the SW which is cogged (I think?).

Cheers

Just out of interest, the website for the EQ Star suggests you can control it with a phone or tablet.

Is it WiFi enabled or do you need a cable connection to the phone?

• 2 weeks later...

The Vixen SP102M is a classic scope. Keep it for what it was intended for, portable visual astronomy. The Super Polaris is an excellent bit of kit, light years ahead of any synta EQ3/2 mount. You can fit the synta R.A. & Dec motors to it but there is no cover for the R.A. motor and if your mount is an early one (1980's) it may not have the declination motor fixing bracket. I used to have an SP102M, what a fool I was to sell it on. Derr!

I can't comment on the scopes as I've never used one but I'd definitely keep the SP. I added the synscan eq5 goto to mine and it copes with an 8.5inch newt ok.

I don't image seriously but it'll happily keep the planets or any other target in view and that improves its use for visual too.

Very happy with mine. 

astrosys2.thumb.jpg.72f5c4aff508f2bd428f394719148ec6.jpg