stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Seeking advice for fully automated planetary imaging setup

Hi there! I am seeking for advice from you good people.

I want to create a setup for stargazing which is fully automated. Ideally every process like scope calibration, guiding, tracking, focusing and taking photos should be done through WiFi, preferably from an iPad tablet.

Planetary imaging is the main purpose. I don't really care about deep space imaging.

I want the whole setup to be rather cheap, small and light, at the expense of imaging quality.

I am a total noob (used to play with an ETX-70 lots of years ago), but I really need the functionality I have described above.

I am thinking of using the bellow components and kindly request that you correct/add to the list:

1) AstroFi 102

2) A ZWO camera suitable for planetary imaging (any ideas for less than or equal to $250)

3) An auto focuser and motor drive (any ideas)

4) Smth like an ASi air device?

Is a guider necessary for planetary imaging, by the way?

Do you think I am in the right path?

I still have not been able to really comprehend  the full picture. Is what I am asking for doable?

Thank you very much in advance!

IMO you are not going to get what you want fully automated. Firstly, guiding is not required for planetary imaging so that makes it simpler in some ways. Focusing is not easy on planets so I tend to focus on a star first and then slew to the planet. Once you are set up and focused on the planet you will be taking short videos for stacking. Firstly use the field of view calculator and see what sort of image you are likely to get with your gear. You could probably pick up a second hand ZWO ASI224 for that sort of money.

Peter

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

IMO you are not going to get what you want fully automated. Firstly, guiding is not required for planetary imaging so that makes it simpler in some ways. Focusing is not easy on planets so I tend to focus on a star first and then slew to the planet. Once you are set up and focused on the planet you will be taking short videos for stacking. Firstly use the field of view calculator and see what sort of image you are likely to get with your gear. You could probably pick up a second hand ZWO ASI224 for that sort of money.

Peter

Can you please elaborate on the fov calculation procedure? Can you propose a sample configuration for my setup? Is the astrofi 102 a good option? 

Who does the driving, the astrofi or another component?

Total noob here. Sorry for any silly questions I have.

Edited by spaceboi

At the top of the page there is Resources - click on that then FOV calculator then imaging and input details. This is what I got as, as you can see Jupiter is quite small. I am not familiar with the Astrofi102 but it looks like you control it with your tablet/phone. No questions are silly.

Peter

Capture.JPG

Once you get all the main equipment sorted I think the cheapest way for automation would be a Raspberry Pi running Astroberry. You can connect to the Pi and control Ekos on a iPad using Safari.

I am very familiar with rpi and Unix. My main concern is getting components that will work with each other. I still haven't figured out how everything is connected and who does what.

Assuming an AstroFi 102, and a auto focused, motor and camera do I need anything else?

In that case who does the driving? The astrofi mount which is WiFi capable and AltAz? What would the Astroberry do in such a setup?

Thanks

Astroberry is just an astrophotography based desktop.

Main app is KStars/Ekos for automation and image capture. Connect mount, camera and focuser to the Pi and set up an equipment profile in Ekos. Ekos will use drivers to control everything.

I am actually quite confused. I cannot find whether the astrofi 102 focuser can be motorised or not. Can you please propose a full setup (you already understand what i am looking for) that would be easy to assemble? I would like of the shelf parts for everything, if possible.

Thanks again.

19 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Astroberry is just an astrophotography based desktop.

Main app is KStars/Ekos for automation and image capture. Connect mount, camera and focuser to the Pi and set up an equipment profile in Ekos. Ekos will use drivers to control everything.

Will the AltAz mount of the astrofi connect to the Pi? How is that physically achievable? ETH or WiFi? Or smth else?

31 minutes ago, spaceboi said:

I am actually quite confused. I cannot find whether the astrofi 102 focuser can be motorised or not. Can you please propose a full setup (you already understand what i am looking for) that would be easy to assemble? I would like of the shelf parts for everything, if possible.

Thanks again.

You'll be best speaking to a vendor that sells the astrofi 102, they will be able to advise on how far you can go with it Re: automation. I'm not familiar with it, or automation to be honest. 

The hardest thing about planetary imaging, given that you need along focal length setup, is actually getting a planet focused and centred in the field of view and in my experience GoTo doesn't cut it so automation  wont help and much manual twitching of buttons is required to get it centred.

Dave

2 hours ago, spaceboi said:

Will the AltAz mount of the astrofi connect to the Pi? How is that physically achievable? ETH or WiFi? Or smth else?

Had a quick look at specifications and you might be able to connect via wifi or the optional handset.

Ekos does have some Celestron drivers, not sure which you would select in the profile though.

I'm assuming your budget or something around a £1000 it might be very difficult to achieve a automated setup for that. I'd suggest getting a reflector with a long focal length, and a good quality Barlow. 

Planetary imaging automation is a myth, getting the focus right on planets is critical and most auto focus methods wouldn't get you anywhere close to required. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By endless-sky
      I would like to share my fourth image.
      With my "lucky week" of imaging, along with M33, I managed to finish also this project. This is my longest integration to date.
      These are IC 405 and IC 410, also known as the Flaming Star Nebula and the Tadpole Nebula, respectively, taken over 7 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 home sky.
      Total integration time: 18h 29m 00s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/11/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 41@240s + 1@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/21: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 46% illuminated
      2020/11/24: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 75% illuminated
      2020/12/07: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 22@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/10: Number of subs/Exposure time: 37@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/11: Number of subs/Exposure time: 18@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      Total exposure time: 66540s = 18h 29m 00s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.

This image was particularly hard to process, since there are many bright stars and stretching the nebulosity while taming the stars was quite difficult. I am sure I didn't manage it as well as I would have liked.
      Here's a link to the full resolution image: Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405) and Tadpole Nebula (IC 410)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!
    • By endless-sky
      I would like to share my third image.
      I finally had a "lucky week", since my last session, December 18th. I managed 5 clear nights out of the past 6 (has to be a record, at least for me and my area) and I was able to finish a couple of projects I had started long ago and start a few new ones.
      This is M33, also known as the Triangulum Galaxy, taken over 10 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 home sky.
      Total integration time: 10h 14m 00s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/11/08: Number of subs/Exposure time: 11@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/09: Number of subs/Exposure time: 10@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/20: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@240s + 4@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 30% illuminated
      2020/11/21: Number of subs/Exposure time: 22@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 45% illuminated
      2020/11/24: Number of subs/Exposure time: 20@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 75% illuminated
      2020/12/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 12@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/14: Number of subs/Exposure time: 8@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 6@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 20% illuminated
      2021/01/10: Number of subs/Exposure time: 9@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/11: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      Total exposure time: 36840s = 10h 14m 00s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.

Image was Drizzle Integrated and then cropped to original sensor size (6016x4016), without resampling. So, it appears as if taken ad double the focal length (768mm instead of 384mm). Image scale 1.04 arc-sec/pixel.
      Here's a link to the full resolution image: Triangulum Galaxy (M33)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!
    • By AJ-DE
      Hi All, I have a Star Adventurer but have had problems getting consistent results even when setup was as near to perfect as I can do, (this was focussed on due to this issue).

It took me a while to find out that when the eyepiece is is extended for focus it is very loose, so loose the graticule moves indipendantly of Polaris / background.

I have asked the supplier, "Astroshop.eu", to highlight the problem and ask for their feedback.

Question to Astroshop.eu:
      I have had a constant issue with Polar Alignment. As I cannot use it so often, (visibility), it has taken me a while to identify the problem. When I adjust the polar scope focus the eyepiece is so loose that the graticule moves a lot laterally in all directions in the view. I can send a video but I think you can  understand what I am saying.
      Basically I must be getting something very wrong or there is an issue with the product. The thread is so loose it is entirely unstable.
      Please advise what we can do about this.

Answer from Astroshop.eu:
      1. "I'am sorry to say, but this is very normal and does not affect the function of the star adventurer".
      2. "My collegue confirmed that this will not be a issue".

I have subsequently asked the guy to ask his colleague again, but some time has gone past and I have no further reply.

I think it is clear enough from the text and would really appreciate some experienced answer, any comments very welcome.
      Additionally here are the videos I have sent to show them, (hand holding the phone so a bit shaky but issue can be seen. I'd really appreciate some help before I spend too much time again tring to get it to work, for reference the eyepiece wobble is around 3.5 graticule intervals, so not small. As it's full of grease it took me a long time to see how poor quality the Polarscope build quality is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VC1p30t8n45oS6fkdxjkztrnoR1r7c6x/view?usp=sharing
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjBaecqTmIhXgJUC-dERRYBb-LaryLMN/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all, Andy
    • By SpaceDave
      I'm new to the astrophotography hobby. I have experience with astronomy. I am struggling to make decent deep sky images (other than M42). The images don't seem to have much definition or brightness despite a decent overall exposure time. See the below images. I have seen on this forum that people are able to take awesome images of the below objects with my same setup. Is anyone able to tell me if I am missing something, please? Do I need even more exposure time?
      I use a Celestron 6SE with unmodified Canon 600D. It has a goto alt az, no EQ. I use a bahtinov mask to focus. Both images were taken with the native focal length of 1500mm, no filters or eyepieces.
      The image of the Triangulum Galaxy is 180 x 15sec ISO800 images. The Crab Neb is 250 x 15sec ISO800 images. Both images had their appropriate flats, darks and biases (30 of each). I use SIRIL to stack the images, which I have had good success with M42 before (see below).
      Any advice would be appreciated!

• By beka
      I was thinking, does an apo produce better images than an achromatic refractor for narrow band imaging? Chromatic aberration should not be an issue for NB but I read somewhere that for apo's spherical aberration is corrected for two wavelengths vs one for achromats.
      Cheers!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.