Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crater walls on the limb

markse68

Tonight was a repeat of last night- forecast cloud but the satellite views showed a wedge of clear skies slowly parting the static clouds and sure enough by 11 it was pretty clear here- only this time i took the scope out for some much needed observing.

Jupiter was boiling away at low altitude but I did see the GRS and a possible shadow transit but it was too unclear to really make out.

Saturn a bit better but still poor seeing. Mars got better the higher it got and showed a horizontal dark band in the southern hemisphere.

The moon was drowning everything out so it would be rude not to give it a look. Being full is not really ideal but it was spectacularly sharp and somehow the seeing was very good for it with only marginal rippling of the limb. I noticed a string of crater walls protruding from the limb below Plato and slightly to the left of it (dob view)  They formed a hanging fringe and really caught my eye hovering below the limb like that. No idea what crater they’d be from but quite an intriguing sight against the inky black background. Upping the magnification to about 300x they revealed plenty of texture and detail with what looked like a dome structure amongst them. Quite intriguing and I’m glad I looked!

Edit: having looked at map it might have been the back wall of Hermite or Byrd depending on libration- that area anyway

5A27CE75-4F3C-4BB7-A812-DB2EB2547E7B.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1