Narrowband

Am I expecting too much from my DSLR

Stuf1978

9 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

Yeah it's nice to get it tightly cropped in as there are some interesting shapes in the dust lanes and brighter areas of nebulosity. No problem the details are:

39 x 6minute subs with darks, bias and flat frames
Skwatcher Evostar ED72
Canon 450D self modded 
Sywatcher HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 50mm guidescope
ZWO ASI 120mm guide camera 
PHD2 guiding 
Optolong L-eNhance filter 

OVL field flattener 

Polar aligned in sharcap

Stacked in DSS and processed in photoshop. I'm in a bortle 8 zone and there was a ~97% moon. 

Thanks mate, appreciate that. Still learning so all info is good to mull over. Is it the Optolong filter that's brought out the lighter, pinky reds!? I have the L enhance but haven't given it a whirl yet. Have you cropped in, in post as I would have thought the 72 would be fairly wide on that Neb!? I've got the 72 and the 80, I'm wondering if the 80 would then get In closer without cropping! 

Edited by Rustang

18 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Thanks mate, appreciate that. Still learning so all info is good to mull over. Is it the Optolong filter that's brought out the lighter, pinky reds!? I have the L enhance but haven't given it a whirl yet. Have you cropped in, in post as I would have thought the 72 would be fairly wide on that Neb!? I've got the 72 and the 80, I'm wondering if the 80 would then get In closer without cropping! 

I'm still a newbie really, been imaging about 18 months with a star adventurer. Yeah I used the L-eNhance for this, which is a dual band filter that let's H-alpha (plus H-beta and OIII) through which is most of the red sfuff you see. The image is slightly cropped, but not loads as the North America Nebula is huge and fills most of the frame anyway 😁

1 minute ago, Stuf1978 said:

I'm still a newbie really, been imaging about 18 months with a star adventurer. Yeah I used the L-eNhance for this, which is a dual band filter that let's H-alpha (plus H-beta and OIII) through which is most of the red sfuff you see. The image is slightly cropped, but not loads as the North America Nebula is huge and fills most of the frame anyway 😁

Cool, now I'm finally guiding I'm looking forward to capturing more data which is really needed, I've been concerned about continuing with DSLR's because of noise issue but going by your image it's promising to know you can still get great images. I have an Astro modified 600D so it should be ok still for a while, dithering should help going forward aswell 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Cool, now I'm finally guiding I'm looking forward to capturing more data which is really needed, I've been concerned about continuing with DSLR's because of noise issue but going by your image it's promising to know you can still get great images. I have an Astro modified 600D so it should be ok still for a while, dithering should help going forward aswell 👍

Yep it's all about the data 😄 and guiding really really helps so I'm sure you'll get some great images. 

Dithering is definitely my next step, I just need to figure out how to get everything working through the laptop. Then I'll probably move to a cooled OSC astro cam next year but the dslr will do for the minute. 

• Like 1

I've had major banding issues with my Canon 600d, tried all sorts from removing sd card, different USB cables, running the laptop on battery rather than mains and nothing helped much. Then as a last resort I tried APP rather than DSS for stacking and it pretty much eliminated the banding. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, edarter said:

I've had major banding issues with my Canon 600d, tried all sorts from removing sd card, different USB cables, running the laptop on battery rather than mains and nothing helped much. Then as a last resort I tried APP rather than DSS for stacking and it pretty much eliminated the banding. 

Brilliant, that's good to know 👍

FWIW, unguided dithering has been around for the original Star Adventurer, for ages - in the form of a beta firmware.

1375289446_StarAdventurerDitheringFirmware.jpg.61c2e0280760517411e2f1bc0b2dc119.jpg

I've been happily using it for months.

For some reason, SW pulled it from their website a good while back.

• Like 2

On 01/09/2020 at 22:35, Stuf1978 said:

ISO was 1600 which probably didn't help. No dithering as I'm still using an

Hi Stu,

Yes, I've just bought a 450d as well and it's much noisier than the Nikon D5000 I was using before. At iso1600, the noise and banding really scream out. I used 800 last night and I really think I need to knock back to iso400.

The fact that your noise is clustered shows you were not using dithering. It's a must for noisy cameras.

I've had to convert to Canon because I've just bought an OAG that only has Canon connectors.

Regards,

Steve.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Hi Stu,

Yes, I've just bought a 450d as well and it's much noisier than the Nikon D5000 I was using before. At iso1600, the noise and banding really scream out. I used 800 last night and I really think I need to knock back to iso400.

The fact that your noise is clustered shows you were not using dithering. It's a must for noisy cameras.

I've had to convert to Canon because I've just bought an OAG that only has Canon connectors.

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve, appreciated. I will be going down the dithering route, I'm just waiting on my EQ DIR cable arriving from FLO........ and then figuring out how to get the mount/guide camera/imaging camera all talking to each other  😂

I must admit I've never tried the 450D at ISO 400, how does it fair?

18 hours ago, 8472 said:

FWIW, unguided dithering has been around for the original Star Adventurer, for ages - in the form of a beta firmware.

1375289446_StarAdventurerDitheringFirmware.jpg.61c2e0280760517411e2f1bc0b2dc119.jpg

I've been happily using it for months.

For some reason, SW pulled it from their website a good while back.

I saw this when I went searching but couldn't find it anywhere to download. I am guessing they pulled it to try and get people to upgrade to the new 'improved' model...

5 hours ago, Stuf1978 said:

I must admit I've never tried the 450D at ISO 400, how does it fair?

You just have to 'stretch' the histogram more using your tool of choice. Asinh is the preferred stretch, available in a number of tools. If you haven't got your head round curves yet, there are plenty of vids on YouTube. Once you understand what it means you can easily fake asinh to produce the same effect.

Steve.

18 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

You just have to 'stretch' the histogram more using your tool of choice. Asinh is the preferred stretch, available in a number of tools. If you haven't got your head round curves yet, there are plenty of vids on YouTube. Once you understand what it means you can easily fake asinh to produce the same effect.

Steve.

That's great thanks, I'll look into it 👍

1 hour ago, jimjam11 said:

I saw this when I went searching but couldn't find it anywhere to download. I am guessing they pulled it to try and get people to upgrade to the new 'improved' model...

That was my immediate first thought, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so I got everything working through EQMOD with guiding and dithering in PHD2. The dithering has definitely helped with the noise situation but I'm still getting some banding in my images.  I can minimise it somewhat with careful processing but it is still annoying. Here's last night's effort 😃

IMG_20200918_125726_999.jpg

Edited by Stuf1978
  • Like 2

Banding Reduction in Siril works a treat! These were stacked in dss then photometric colour calibration and banding reduction in Siril before moving back to Photoshop for usual processing 🤩

SadrSiriloutputdebandprocessed.jpg

Eastern Veil.jpg

Edited by Stuf1978
  • Like 3