Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Comet 144P Kushida

Here's 34 minutes from 17 X 2 min subs of the Comet 144P Kushida which is sitting just a bit to the right of the Hyades cluster in Taurus. I think I have stacked it wrong as the stars are meant to have trails and the comet is not meant to be elongated. I'll re do this after having a play with the comet stacking in DSS. But anyway here it is, my first image of a comet:

11770_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Sam

It would be great to see this stacked the other way round but well captured - I forgot this was out there last night, should have had a go myself.

When you stack, you select the core of the comet as the reference point, not a star - the stars will then appear to be moving past the comet

Another target i missed last night!!! Oh well got the HH instead so not a completely wasted night!!!! Oooh almost forgot to comment on the actual shot, very nice!!! :hello1:

PC :)

I have a few images that I am trying to stack using the comet stacking feature of DSS. The problem I have is that it does not see the comet :scratch:

Thats nice Sam!

I found it last night, it's fainter than 8th Mag I reckon.

Maybe try stacking in K3CCD and manually aligning each frame?

Ant

Sam

That's a nice picture. If you don't mind I've taken the liberty of using the curves and levels functions in Photoshop to darken the background a bit. I've also used the marvellous 'motion blur' function in FocusMagic to de-blur the comet. Is this what you were after?

post-13232-13387735305_thumb.jpg

Sam

That's a nice picture. If you don't mind I've taken the liberty of using the curves and levels functions in Photoshop to darken the background a bit. I've also used the marvellous 'motion blur' function in FocusMagic to de-blur the comet. Is this what you were after?

Thanks Michael, I guess that's what DSS would churn out if I did the comet stacking thing. :)